LEA

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thinking about putting a van on with LEA. Is their satellite system any good? what does it cost? do they have as much freight as their recruiter thinks they have? I know they work with agents but is the pay by the mile or percentage? Does the agent set the rate? Would like a reply from an experenced BCO to see how things work in the real world, the recruiter sounded like he was on QVC.Anything you think I should know would help

The old one

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
I can tell you vans do have a hard time with freight in this system. Your Recruiter was probably being honest with you about the amount of freight available, but where?? If you're in Ohio, freight in Kentucky is no value to you. Call the Agent is Syracuse, NY. Ask for Ron. He has a van of his own running for LEA. The number is 800-492-9779.
As far as Agents setting the rates. YES!! Every Agent has different rates for different Customers, so a shipment from Detroit to Indy may be 1 price today & different next week, depending on the Agent and/or the Customer. Good luck!!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Oh!! the satellite system is brutal! Highway Disaster as its known! Its as accurate as a themometer without mercury! & LEA pays percentage. 62% of the gross to be exact. No dead head pay, no layover pay.

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
Well, as you know a recruiter is just a saleman. LEA has really gone downhill. We seem to have lost a lot of customers. But the big guys keep telling us new ones are just around the corner. This has been the worst year ever with them. But ,you never know. It's 99% luck at being at the right place at the right time. Oh, by the way after the first of the year, the Highway Disaster will be replaced by Qualcomm.

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the come back. Now I know the agents set the rate but is there a minimum or is it just how low will you go. What can I expect for a average loaded mile. I assume LEA has good and bad agents and hot and cold areas, where would my van get the most work with them.
Over all would their rates be about the same as Tri-state, Fedex or Panther. Do they have a lot of costs for sign on, insurance etc. I hate to change co. and I know we all have had a bad year but I see a lot of D units running with b freight and I sit with my company.

The old one

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You might want to reconcider going to LEA. I just read my land line magazine from OOIDA and OOIDA just filed a law suit against landstar. Checkout www.ooida.com for info about the law suit. Good luck.
Randy

>Thanks for the come back. Now I know the agents set the rate
>but is there a minimum or is it just how low will you go.
>What can I expect for a average loaded mile. I assume LEA
>has good and bad agents and hot and cold areas, where would
>my van get the most work with them.
>Over all would their rates be about the same as Tri-state,
>Fedex or Panther. Do they have a lot of costs for sign on,
>insurance etc. I hate to change co. and I know we all have
>had a bad year but I see a lot of D units running with b
>freight and I sit with my company.
>
>The old one
>

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Highway disaster is gone. Starting the beginning of the year units will be having qualcomm put into them.

Stay safe out there!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
The startup costs for LEA are more then any other company I have ever heard of. You can expect to run around like a chicken with your head cut off just to get all the neccesary documents, drive to Rockford,IL & spend 3 days there in "orientation" & you pay the cost of the installation for the satellite. By the time its all said & done, you have easly wasted 2 weeks & well over $400.00 & have yet to make a dime. If for some reason they qualify you to drive for LEA, good luck in finding out the reason. If you want to know anything else, just send me a message & I will answer any question you may have.

Merry Christmas.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
You can't find nicer people to work with but !!!!!!! Some of the express centers have their own trucks and you know how that works. I drive a D unit and went to Texas two times and had to deadhead out both times. They have the same problems as all the other expediters have. LOADS. I talked to another cargo van driver in Joliet,Il and he was looking at moving his van for lack of work. Lots of luck will be the order of the day.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Great people to work with. Actually they are the best I've encountered. We run as a team and it is possible to go a week without a load. It's not their fault. Expedited freight is the blame. Some places you just can't get out. It's six of one and 1/2 of the other.I drive a D unit and have two cargo vans leased elsewhere,,,,,go figure!