LEA, more questions

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am interested in how the LEA agent system works. Are you, as a contractor, leased to LEA directly of are you leased to one of there agents. When you haul a load for Lea is the rate the same as when you haul for an agent and do different agent have different rate. Who's authority and lib insurance are you under. Who pays you for the run and how long do you have to wait for your pay on a load.

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are leased to Lea and run under their authority and liability insurance. The agents are not Lea employees,rather they have a contract with Lea to broker freight under Lea's name and authority. For this opportunity, the broker pays LEA a % of the load.
The rates will vary with brokers,some paying well and some not so well. It was my experience that there was "wiggle room" in the rates,that is to say if there were special cicumstances with the load (had to be their yesterday,weight problems,special handeling,etc) you could try and get more $ for the load. Sometimes you could barter for more money, the problem with that is the more the agent paid you the less he got, but they would do it sometimes to keep their customer happy if it was a problem load.
You are paid every week for completed paperwork turned in by thursday.
The settlement is loaded onto a ComData card. The pay comes from LEA and not the brokers.
The loads I hauled payed pretty decent, but there just was not enough of them.

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Crazy
Thanks for the reply. This tells me alot and may solve my problem of not having enough larger equipment to handle loads we are offered. I know things are slow for the large expedite companies but we have the opposite problem right now. What would you consider a reasonable per mile rate for a c or d unit if you have deadhead 150 mile to pick-up the load and move it about 500 to 800 miles and as the owner of a d truck would it be profitable for you to move loads of 150 miles for 80% of $1.60 but be loaded both ways most of the time.

The old one