Laredo

Laredo

Expert Expediter
Hello,

I have been lurking around here for a while. I live in Laredo, TX and have seen a few vans leased on with LEA and Panther and all the other companines. I was wondering how often you all get down here? Does it take a while to get a load out of here? What type of unit would work best for someone based out of here and what companies move the most freight down here?

CLG

prescat

Expert Expediter
I'M NOT A SEASONED EXPEDITING VET, BUT IN THE 4 MONTHS I'VE BEEN DOING THIS, I'VE BEEN DOWN TO LAREDO 3 TIMES AND VICTORIA ONCE. I GOT OUT OF LAREDO EASILY WITH NICE RUNS THREE TIMES, AND ONCE I SAT FOR A WHILE. THEY SAY LAREDO IS NOT A GREAT PLACE TO BE, BUT SO FAR I THINK IT'S BEEN OKAY. THE ONE BENEFIT IS THAT ANY RUN OUT OF LAREDO IS LIKELY TO BE A GOOD MILER. HOWEVER, IF YOUR LOOKING TO GET HOME A LOT, YOU CAN'T COUNT ON IT AND IF YOU YOU PLAN ON DEAD HEADING HOME, AS I'M SURE YOU KNOW, YOU'LL BE EATING A LOT OF MILES SINCE LAREDO IS 4 BILLION MILES FROM EVERYWHERE. (FYI, I'VE ALSO SEEN SOME ACTION OUT OF DEL RIO AND EAGLE PASS).. GOOD LUCK....I WISH I WAS IN LAREDO WEATHER RIGHT NOW!

prescat

Expert Expediter
BTW, I'M IN A B UNIT (22' STRAIGHT TRUCK), AND I THINK MORE AND MORE STUFF WILL BE GOING BACK AND FORTH TO THOSE BORDER EXPEDITORS.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well think about it,now that the border has been opened to Mexican trucking companies and while the restrictions are harsh for now they will get easier as time goes by.So freight that may have been transfered in Laredo can now be trucked all the way by a Mexican driver earing 50% less then his American colleague. I believe the regulations also allow the Mexican truckers to then take freight back into Mexico from the US. They cannot run within the US but go in and out of the country. This will also apply to you,meaning you will be able to go into Mexico,pick up freight for the US and take it all the way.But I don!t see that happening as the shipper would be paying premium rates for a US company while he would be able to get a Mexican company at a much lesser rate. I run into Laredo about 4 times a year and usually deadhead back to San Antone or Houston..Good luck..

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We take freight into Laredo for shipment into Mexico. We did d/h all the way to San Antonio once until we learned that there is freight along the border. Since then, we have got freight every time out of south Texas heading usually east but occasionally Dallas area.

We'll take a Laredo run anyday from FedEx CC.

Vernon

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Not sure how it is now because we have been off the road for over a year now. We were living SE of San Antonio when we were on the road and never had a problem getting a load out of South Texas. If I remember correctly we got 1 or 2 loads out of San Antonio, and a few more than that out of Austin, other than that we were always heading down to Eagle Pass, Laredo, and McAllen. Never had to sit thru Feces (Robert's when we were there) home time penalty. Did make the mistake of taking a hospital bed load that left us in Amarillo once, but other than that all loads out of the area were higher mileage.

prescat

Expert Expediter
WITH REGARDS TO RICH M's POINT, I AGREE THAT A LOT OF AMERICAN COMPANIES/DRIVERS WILL NOT BE GOING INTO INTERIOR MEXICO BECAUSE OF THE RATES AND THE CHANCES YOU TAKE WITH THE MEXICAN "AUTHORITIES" AND THE WAY THEY "SUPPLEMENT THEIR INCOME". HOWEVER, I DISAGREE WITH WHAT HE SAID ABOUT THE IDEA THAT LOW-RATE MEXICAN DRIVERS WILL BE STEALING A LOT OF WORK. EVEN AS BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE, THE DOT INSPECTIONS WITHIN THE UNITED STATES WILL NOT AND MOST OF THOSE RATTY MEXICAN TRUCKS WON'T MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST CHECK POINT. AMERICAN DOT STATIONS WILL REALIZE SOON ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH THOSE TRUCKS AND A LOT OF THE DRIVERS AND THEY'LL RAISE RED FLAGS. I LIKEN THAT ARGUEMENT TO THE ONE WHERE PEOPLE SAY, "THE MEXICANS ARE SNEAKING ACROSS THE BORDER TO STEAL AMERICAN JOBS" (I USED T BELIEVE THAT MYSELF UNTIL I MOVED SOUTH OF SAN DIEGO FOR A FEW YEARS) THEN I REALIZED THAT MOST OF THOSE POOR PEOPLE WERE RISKING DEATH AND DEHYDRATION TO CROSS INTO AMERICA TO WORK JOBS NO AMERICAN WANTS TO DO, OR FEELS IS "BENEATH THEM". ANY AMERICAN BUSINESS OWNER KNOWS HOW TOUGH IT IS TO GET GOOD EMPLOYEES THAT ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK. I USED TO HAVE 5 TRUCKS AND DID HOUSEHOLD GOODS MOVING. I STARTED PEOPLE AT NICE RATES AND I NEVER COULD GET ENOUGH GOOD WORKERS. KIDS TODAY WOULD RATHER STAY HOME AND WATCH MTV BECAUSE STARTER JOBS AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.......SORRY ABOUT THE PREACHING

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My Wife and I are a team with Tri-State in a straight truck. Been with them over 5 years. Since Jan 2 we have taken 2 loads to Texas and got out within hours of delivery with a load both times. Had to dead head to Eagle Pass from Dallas for one of those loads. One went to Michigan, the other to Minnesota. The load we took to Laredo we got out within 2 hours from the place we delivered. We get to Texas quite often, not always Laredo. Sometimes, Los Indios, Dallas, San Antonio, but usually get loads out soon after delivery. Then there are times we don't get to Texas at all for months at a time. Just the luck of the draw and being in the right place at the right time, etc. There are no guarantees. Hope this helped. Feel free to ask any more question, I check in often.

No Neck :+