Laptops for In Truck Use

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Can anyone make suggestions as to lower proced laptop computers for in truck use? General use, accounting, word processing, email and such. Models, prices, places to buy? I've been checking Radio Shack and other places and can't seem to find anything decent under $1200.00. Perhaps it would be better to go wih used unit?
Also, who would be best ISP for nationwide access availibility? Am looking at Express Dial.....thoughts?

thanks.....

G

Dreamer, Do your research at Best Buy as far as models and prices, decide what you will use it for immediately, but also consider what you might want to do later on and allow for the extra memory that extra programs will entail. We use Fujitsu and also a Toshiba. They both do an excellent job. When you are well
armed with the info you need and are ready to buy I would suggest going to E-Bay.com and look there, you can find excellent buys. Remember as with any electronic equipment to provide a very secure and protected enviroment for it on board. Froggybutton and Echo

G

Greatings All,
This is my first post on this board. I am not sure that you will find this to be the most economical solution but I strongly recomend you investigate FieldWorks, for a rugged over the road portable or in truck mount computer. WWW.fieldworks.com They are very customisable and are shock and vibration proof. Well almost.
I realy should be getting paid for this plug.

Enjoy the link

Foxtrot

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We use a Toshiba 325CDS that we bought from the Egghead auction site -- great place to buy, no worry about getting ripped off, excellent prices. We plan to replace it this Christmas, and we will probably begin looking at Best Buy -- the auction is great, lower prices, but where do you take it if anything happens to it?

We keep it in a hard shell briefcase, wrapped in bubble wrap, while we're bumping around the countryside -- it's easy to carry in, when we stay in motels, and it's out of the way and safe while we're driving.

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Big Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
if you buy from a nation wide chain store like best buy or circuit city you are always close to one of their stores if any thing happens all you have to do is take it to the store for service not wait until you get home or or send it back to the
manufacture. just something to think about

Jasper

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Using a national chain is a good idea for basic service that can be completed in about an hour or so, but keep in mind that if it is a serious problem that requires time, you should only leave it in a place that you KNOW that you will be back through in just a couple of days or less to retrieve it.
Just a thought.

Jasper

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Got my ProStar from the local computer repair people (repairman owned one). About a year old and so far, like it very much. Has a large screen, 56k modem, 4.3g drive, 24x cdrom, finger touchpad mouse, 3.5 disk, long battery life (so its heavy), 64k memory and comes with a carry case which protects it fine, all for under $2000.

They have a website.

Vernon

TRUCKNMAMA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I hope you know a little about computers. I got my laptop through the want ads. 5mos old Toshiba 445CDX case zip drive all manuals and CD's 3 1/2"drive Microsoft Works, Quick Books, plus a bunck of other programs and a 3 yr extended warranty. All the bell and whistles, $800.00 this was about 2 1/2 yrs ago.Good Luck

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For me I prefer to purchase directly from the manufactures like
Gateway, Dell, Win-Book, and make sure you get the extended warrenty with any electronic item you purchase.
I have found by purchasing directly that if you have any problem with the laptop and a part has to be replaced they will send you the replacement or you can go to one of the stores that they have in an area that you are passing through if the part is in stock, or if you know anything about computers it is very easy to replace the part yourself with a piece of velcro wrapped around your wrists for static protection.
I have a Gateway at home they have support 24/7, they have replaced the monitor once, video card, speakers which I installed and they send you a prepaid sticker for returning the defective item,
with the National chains, I dont trust them especially Best
Buy, they tell you one thing then do another, reason why,
I had a friend who bought a computer at Best Buy and had trouble from day one, he purchased a extended warrenty and they did n0t honor it, it had to be sent back tpo the manufactor for repair, which he did, it came back and when he checked it, it had a smaller hard drive, smaller modem, some one at best buy switched it, and he proved it because he had taken the label off the orginal carton and keep it just in case, oh it was repacked in the orginal carton to go back to the Mfg, but he kept the labeling anyway. They do not have a repair shop in any of the stores they contract it out to a contractor repair shop, weather it be authorized factory I do not know.
Sorry about the spelling but I had stitchedin a finger that I almost took off and it is difficult typing

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion; my previous laptop was a Toshiba. I mount my computer on the dash of my FL70 with a speaker stand which I purchased from Mieiers (or KMart). It is on a swivel, so I can look at it closely when I want, or have it facing away from me. I use the Delorme moving map program with their GPS and can set up any route in a couple of minutes. I cannot imagine trucking without the computer map program.
I use Excel spreadsheets to record my trucking activities, and I use Quicken for my banking.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a compaq laptop for sale, with the balance of the extended warranty with it(Expires July 20, 2002) and carrying case. check my add under computers to see what it has in it for $800.00, I paid $1800 1 1/2 yrs ago.

If you want to by New, always but it with the extended warrenty, best deal.
I found a problem with BEST BUY, most of the stores do not have a tech. to do repairs,on premises. they send it out to a local service company, which takes about a week, because the guarantee they give u is only for 30 days after purchase to return if there is a problem and they still give you aggravation within that time. Even within a week, thats my experience with them and thats a big Question Mark.
I tried to return a moniter that I was having problem with from day one, After about a month of bugging them, I had to go to the store Manager to try and get satisfaction, but it never happened, it took them about 6 months for me to get an answer, and then it was beyond there warrenty and I got stuck with it.
PERIOD
I HAD TO CONTACT THE MAIN OFFICE OF BEST BUY, WITH THE PROBLEM AND IT WAS NEVER SETTLED.