Just Wanted to Say Hi All

chinglung

Expert Expediter
I am new to the business just wanted to drop a line a say hi. I will be driving for a fedexcc owner for a while to get a feel for the business. Before buying my own truck. I am trying to decide between a C or D unit. Any thoughts you guys had would be greatly appreciated:). It will be several months before I make the purchase as I feel I need to get some experiance before I jump in blindly. I look forward to talking with guys and will drop a line later on as I am leaving to day.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome aboard chinglung!

From what most of the members say the D unit is the way to go. I personally run vans. You will definitely have some time to make up your mind.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome to the FedEx CC family, and if you ever see C2197 sitting still, come over and say hi (unless I beat you to it).

On the C or D unit question, most salesmen out there prefer the D unit too, as that is usually what they have sitting on the lots. Buying a new or used D unit will certainly be easier as C units are scarce on truck lots.

Myself, I prefer the C truck and have never seen a reason to move to a D truck. The biggest differences: haul a lighter weight so less wear/tear, lower insurance, no fuel tax worries, usually hydraulic disc brakes so less hassle at DOT stops, easier to park in Walmarts where its quieter, and really draws some attention when you have a big sleeper with a little truck, such as our 72" sleeper and 18' cargo box.

Vernon

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The reason why I prefer a "C"trk is that C loads are the most requested by shippers.D drivers tell me they haul about 75% C loads.You would then think The C would be hauling a lot of B freight. Not so, We only haul 10% B. WHY HAUL AROUND ALL OF THAT EXTRA TRK?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
redytrk, you are pretty much right about the D units hauling C loads much of the time. but when the D loads do come around, you carry around all that extra truck so that you can take them. unlike the C's that dont have the option. DD

chinglung

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the response guys. Im glad to see there are people willing to be helpful:7 . Also I would like to add that the guy Im driving for is White Glove and he's working on getting me White Glove certified. I think this will be helpful though from what I can tell I will probally need a D unit to take full advantage of this possible extra income oppurtunity. What do you guys think? and vernon946 I'll keep a eye out for you:) .

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Appreciate the come back.

If you look around, we have some sharp C units with FedEx CC, and moneywise, they seem to clear about the same as the D trucks. The only trouble you'll have will be finding one.

Vernon

tigerpaw143444

Expert Expediter
First Hi to all the F EX CC buddies out there. I agree about all the C loads. We get to many of them. I was also looking at running a C for alot of the same reasons already stated. A good option to getting a C is to get a class 8 and streach the back out then add the 18 foot box. Saves you money that way. The D units are really getting into it these days. It give you more Life in the F EX CC requirements. Some ppl say you have to pay more in fuel becuase all those horses are not getting used.
D5625 lol for now;-)