Introduction and question

Puddle pirate

Expert Expediter
Hello All,

As a newbie to the group, here is where I introduce myself, and confirm to all that I do not have a clue about how to get get started.

After 26+ years in the offshore marine industry, I am now starting over. I have a lot of experience with safety, security, handeling and securing heavy loads, and even driving big boats! I like to work and I love to travel but I have no experience driving trucks larger than the large ryder type rentals.

Are there any companies out there that will hire trainees? If not, and a driver school is the way to go, who do you recommend?

If at all possible, I do not want to spend the next two months in a classroom with a large bill to pay off before I even start working.

I live along the Gulf coast. Are there Hot shot companies or other delivery type companies someone out there might recommend? I have a clean record and no accidents.

Your comments are appreciated.........

[email protected]

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Puddle Pirate,
Most expediting companies have different types of equipment that are lease on. From pick up trucks to tractors. Most of us do not require any experience with the smaller divisions of vehicles. If you are interested in a straight truck with a sleeper, just about all of us can lease you on with a cdl class B with haz. As far as a tractor, most of the larger expediting companies want you to have a years experience.
Living along the Gulf coast wouldn't really matter as long as you were able to stay out a few weeks at a time.

Good Luck,

ABC

Puddle pirate

Expert Expediter
ABC

Thanks for the advice. Any companies you would recommend? Right now all I am geared up for is a Pick-up truck and/or trailer, but starting work is more of a priority to me. Is there anyone you would recommend?

PP

abcwine

Expert Expediter
With a pick up truck, you might want to try CTX, or trade it in for a cargo van and just about any carrier that is accepting vans can lease you on.

ABC