Inspections??

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
So, got this letter in with last weeks settlement saying that "Effective Immediately" each truck must have 2 DOT Inspections and 2 Tri-State inspections every year.

I have no objection to their inspections, but I object to having to pay for a DOT twice a year. In my case that's an extra $200per year. Those with larger fleets would be looking at a substantial expense. It would appear that this is the new procedure due to the road patrol driver retiring.

Oh, the letter was dated April 13, 2008.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I was passing through Perrysburg 2 weeks ago and stopped in to get a clearance light on the box changed. Since I started 3 months ago, I asked about the next inspection, and was told it was due in 2 weeks. I got it done then and there and the total cost was $31.00

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I was passing through Perrysburg 2 weeks ago and stopped in to get a clearance light on the box changed. Since I started 3 months ago, I asked about the next inspection, and was told it was due in 2 weeks. I got it done then and there and the total cost was $31.00

Yeah, that is a good deal but the trick is to be in Perrysburg close to when it's due. It wouldn't be cost effective to make a special trip though. Average price at a dealer or truck shop is $45 to $50 and most won't even touch a Sprinter or cargo van since the DOT regs don't require vans to have a DOT inspection.

The last I heard, the Road Patrol is only running within a 2.5 hour radius of Perrysburg so it may be difficult getting the Tri-State inspection done.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Actually, more and more carriers will probably be going to semi annual DOT inspections.

Why?

Insurance ratings.

When fleet owners and individuals refuse to properly maintain their trucks and one of those trucks is involved in an accident; the carrier's insurance rates go up.

It should come as no surprise since several large carrier groups have required semi annual inspections.

I also have found several repair centers willing to negotiate a lower price for cargo vans. $35.00 here in the Dayton area just about two miles from I-70 at a truck repair center. They faxed the report right to headquarters and gave me my copy.

You can also have your coordinator try to schedule you a run close to the shop so you can get the inspection done there.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Getting to Perrysburg has not been a problem for me. I live 800 miles northwest of there and am in Perrysburg a hell of a lot more than at home.