Info Search

Toes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Looking to get into expedite freight with Panther. Have been with Atlas Van Lines a long time. What are your thoughts, good or bad...
Give me a honest rundown of day to day operations for a small truck. You do not load / unload your wagons? Deal with lumpers?

I will probably run solo. In and out. No longer have the need to live on the road. (New Baby-Girl) 40 years old. Talk about in a change in my life!

Toes

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
First of all, congratulations on the new baby girl, I hope she brings you much joy.
Now, back to the question. It will be very hard for you to make it in the expedited business if you want to run "out and back". I know this because it used to be my philosophy. Yeah, you're home a lot, but you don;t make much money. All the guys I know who make any decent money, stay out at least 2-3 days or longer, depending on the company, before going by the house. It really just depends on what in of unit you want to run, and how much money you can get by on. With your experience, have you considered being a local driver for someone? I see ads in the paper everyday for Class A local drivers with experience. If you do decide this business is for you, no you usually don't unload your own freight, if you do, you get paid a premium. There is money to be made out there, but it will be hard to do "out and back".

G

PANTHER IS A GOOD COMPANY TO RUN WITH BUT FORGET ABOUT OUT AND BACK.I RAN WITH THEM ALMOST 3 YEARS THEY GET UPSET IF YOUR O/S VERY MUCH AND IF YOU GO OUT AND BACK THEY WILL WAIT FOR YOU TO GET WITHIN 2 OR 3 MILES OF HOME AND GIVE YOU A LOAD THAT PICKS UP 50 MILES FROM YOU IN TWO HOURS.HAPPENS EVERY TIME
BUT IF YOU OWN EQUIPMENT THEN SIGN ON AS A TEAM IN YOUR TRUCK GO OUT AND BACK EVERY OTHER LOAD

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Congratulations, Toes -- i expect that you will be KEPT ON THEM! ;-) Also, welcome to Expediter's Online!

Now, your questions:
As Dreamer said, it would be a very unusual situation for you to have to load/unload, and if you did have to fingerprint your freight, you WOULD be paid a premium; however, that premium can sometimes be a pitance, considering the load, so you will want to make sure, IN ADVANCE, exactly what the renumeration is to be. We were offered a load, with a different company than Panther, that consisted of 350 file boxes, weighing 50 pounds each, which we would have had to unload, in New York CITY, and no one could tell us exactly what the unload would entail -- it was to deliver to a hotel, with no loading dock, and no one knew if we would have to be carrying these boxes up 3 flights of stairs, or just WHAT the situation would be! i think we were offered about $100 to lump this load, but without knowing what we were getting ourselves into, we politely declined. For the most part, there is no lumper option at the places expedited freight delivers.

Now, for your "out and back" plan, there are several options for you to consider:

Expediter's Online currently offers a Load Board, where you list your equipment, and shipper's list their loads. This is a subscription service, designed to match equipment and loads. If the company you lease to has loads, either coming into your area, or going out of your area, the Load Board could help you to find freight going the direction you need it to. A lot will depend on the area that you live in -- some are just BLACK HOLES for expedited freight (nothing going in or out), and others are BEEHIVES of activity.

The much sought after, rarely seen, Dedicated Route is also an option -- but you would have to look for a small, local company to lease with for this.

i actually know someone that runs loads out of his area, then, if no load is offered, just turns around and deadheads back. This, of course, cuts your gross pay in half, and usually isn't a viable option for most drivers.

Besides the Load Board, there are also Brokers, many of whom handle LTL. The pay isn't great, but it's better than running empty.

The last option i can think of right now (i HEARD that sigh of relief, y'all! lol) is getting your own authority and finding your OWN customers -- perhaps a company that has satellite sites, and which needs to ship freight among these.

i sure hope this helps!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!