Income Taxes- standard milage rate deduction

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I've been using the standard milage rate for years, but have never gotten audited. I did talk to one owner years ago who was audited and said he deducted every mile from Jan1-Dec31 as long as he wasn't out of service. If he was available for dispatch even if he was doing errands in town he deducted those miles. At the end of the year he would post a loss since the deduction was large. Outcome of his audit: no penalty, and it was allowed.

Now, since I've never been audited, I can only take his word for it.

If there are any other B unit, cargo Van drivers that have had the same experience as above please post it here.

I've heard numerous explainations what is and isn't allowed. The last one I read was
to log all your on duty miles, and then for tax purposes use 85% of that total.

One year I called the IRS and told the rep exactly what I do, and specifally asked about DH miles. her answer "DH is a gray area. Your not joy riding on the way home
since your available for dispatch". She couldn't give me a definite answer, so I deducted all my DH miles until I got home. Like I say, I've never been audited.

Post here, if you did get audited, and run a cargo van so everybody who isn't sure what to do, about the standard milage deduction, and the size trucks we run-B units. You will help newcomers looking for some good advice.