In the hot seat

vipra

Expert Expediter
Why does the base of my Sprinter's driver's seat get hot? While driving, all 4 sides of the white bottom part of the seat warm up and throw off lots of heat. If it's only 65 degrees out it gets so warm inside that I have to either open the windows or turn on the AC, and if it's over 90 degrees the white part gets so hot that I can barely hold my hand on it. It happens randomly, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it starts warming up as soon as I start driving and sometimes it doesn't start warming until I've been driving for a few hours. I know there's a fuse box under there, so is there a short in one of the wires?

tazman

Expert Expediter
I'd get this looked at ASAP....especially if it is getting as hot as you say ...(i.e. can't touch it)......
Early 2005 models had some "frame grounding" issues...but thats all I've heard and seen

Remember these units are assembled in Germany ...and then dis-assembled partially and transported to Gaffney SC (and soon Charleston)...then re-assembled (in sections) and tested...then put on a flatbed and hauled to the dealer...

IMHO "the jury is still out" for me on these trucks (and I sell them !!!) ...Although you see them around since 2004 ..every unit I've delivered has had a problem of one kind or another..not a good track record

What scares me more is the fact that I've sold more chassis-cabs od these than van bodies....and the body companies "hate" the frames on these trucks...with many vets on the line that I've spoken to saying that they will not hold up over a 5+ year period......

In addition, the 5-cyl engine will not be offered anymore because of the 2007 Diesel requirement for truck in the US....Dodge says, they will have a "new engine" for the trucks once the new plant starts producing in March of next year....

I'll get "off my soap box" now....

Thanks

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"