I would like some info please?

peco013

Expert Expediter
I live 45 mins out side columbus ohio and would like to know about the expediters biz I would like to buy a e350 diesel cargo van on my own am I better off getting a extended or regular? Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about panther 2 or try hours ? do these companys force you to sleep in your cargo vans? will they let you work day or night? And one more thing there is a web sight that is called get loaded .com were you can pay them 35 dollars a month to use there sight and they have load posting across the US but they don't have anything for cargo vans has anyone herd of another sight that does the same thing for cargo vans? thanks to anyone that can help me peco!!!!!

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Peco,
IF you are going to buy a cargo van the more room you have for freight and for your own comfort the better off you will be. Go for the extended van.
No matter which company you go with you will have to sleep in the van. None of the companies pay for a motel room and you won't be able to afford to pay for one on your own on a regular bassis.
You will have to be on call day and night and run when the freight is available.
If you don't want to drive at night or don't want to sleep in the van you will be making a big mistake getting into expediting.

Marty

peco013

Expert Expediter
I'm looking more so for a web sight that you can get loads off of instead of working for a company are companies like that out there?
something like getloaded.com but for cargo vans?

lighting

Expert Expediter
it not that easy unless you are leased to a company.if you want to work for yourself and get your own loads you havw to have your own authority,this is expensive and its not easy to get work.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Peco:
I do not want to rain on your parade, but you really need to be getting a lot more information before you go out on your own. I would suggest that you go through the archives of this web site and read the numerous postings that apply to exactly the same topics you have brought up.

Second. It does not appear that you have much, if any experience in this industry. It is suggested that you drive someone elses truck for a while and learn what is involved in the expediting business.

This can be a great and rewarding business, but there are a lot of pitfalls.

Good Luck.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
What direction do you live from Columbus? I live about 40 minutes south and ran about a year in a van for FedEx CC before I changed to a D-Unit. I don't know for sure how it is with other companies, but I never had a problem getting a load out of here. I got a lot from the Chillicothe to Lancaster area because I lived south of Columbus. It was once I got out on the road, I had trouble getting loads. I don't beleive I ever grossed over $1200 to the van even on the best weeks, running as a single. Normal weeks were 600 to 800. This is a good area to get loads out of, it's just getting back .:) :)

peco013

Expert Expediter
I live in lancaster Ohio and I also drive a 25 foot flat bed from columbus to florence ky at night but it is an hourly job that doesn't pay that much how does fed ex work out do they lay off alot if you are working for them? A does any one know about the company that is called Try Hours?

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
I feel like i have to comment here for the good of my fellow man here. DONT DO IT! let me explain myself.
I got started in expediting in exactly the same way that it appears you're going do it....half-cocked, and with about half as much information as it would take me to be called uninformed. let me tell you..the learning curve is SHARP.
Driving for an owner/operator is a good idea. I bought my own van before i knew that there even was such an option. now i use up half of my available payload carrying the industrial size TUMS around everywhere. as luck would have it, i truly enjoy this business. if i didn't i'd be stuck with a big white cargo van (with a bunch of holes in the roof) to drive to my clock-punchin' mon-fri job. (and chicks don't dig it when you show up to pick them up for a date in a van that says "FedEx" all over it)

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.