How would this work?

Aviator

Expert Expediter
OK, I was looking into picking up a couple of clas A/B vans to add to my dads D fleet. After looking into it, I notice that the cube vans cost about as much as a normal van.

Looking at the average cube van, I notice that most have 14'x8' boxes, and a lot have the overhang over the cab. They also have doors from the cab, into the box.

Suppose a guy would take one of these, and build a plywood wall 4' back into the box. Insulate it, and fix it up nice, maybe add a sleeper window. You would then have a sleeper, and, yet have a 10'x8' cargo area, enough for 4 pallets. You would also have a much larger sleeper than a lot of the other expediter trucks I have seen.

I am also assuming that the cost to operate a unit like this would be very close to the cost of a normal van.

Anyone see any problems with my logic here?

thanks

Aviator

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>
>Anyone see any problems with my logic here?
>
>thanks
>
>Aviator

You mean besides having to run a log book, therefore taking away the very reason you want to run a van?

:D :D :D :D

Yeppers... bummed me out too... I was lookin that way, then realized over 11,000 gross means logbooks.. might as well go with a dock high.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About 10 years ago Roberts had a bunch of them running around outfited just the way you described. They were called super B units. In some cases they took C loads without having to log. Not fair to the C unit folks but who said life is supposed to be fair.

Aviator

Expert Expediter
>About 10 years ago Roberts had a bunch of them running
>around outfited just the way you described.

Any idea why they are still not around??

Aviator

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thare are many cubes out there outfitted like this, guy at C&M has a few, and they are under 10k gross. From what I remember he said they work just fine, but for some reason don't really make any more money than a standard cargo van. Just more comfort for the driver I guess.
-Weave-

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Well, was not trying to make more money with this particular idea. I just figured if I was going to run a van, I might as well be more comfortable for the same amount of expense as a van. I suppose as a side benefit of being more comfortable a person may be able to run more miles though.

Thanks!

Aviator