How Often does this happen

MattMO

Expert Expediter
How Often does this happen and you never hear about what really happened.

Here last week we had some snow and ice, while we are no strangers to that type of weather here we dont get it often and alot of folks never get good at using proper judgement while driving on snow covered roads.
The local paper here had a picture of a T/T turned over on its side on the snow covered highway covering the front page. The article quoted the Police Officer that responded to the accident who stated " The real hero here is the truck driver who turned his truck into the concrete barrier knowing it would likely turn the truck over to avoid running over and likely killing the occupants of the compact car that spun out of control in front of him"
How many times do we see truck wrecks and not know it was probably caused by the truck driver tring to avoid killing the people in a 4 wheeler.
The truck driver was only shaken up and sore (seatbelt used) and stated the compact car passed him and lost control. "I knew all I could do was turn into the barrier and hope for the best, otherwise that little car and the folks in it would be history"

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Matt, you're right, we don't hear "the rest of the story" very often. Makes one wonder. Too many times we hear negative about the "big bad truck" whether that driver was at fault or the one driving the 4 wheeler. Kudos to that driver, and kudos to the paper for printing the story about his bravery!

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The newspaper where I live,the Florida Times Union will put in a headline 2 inches across."Truck rolls over on I 95 and crushes 2 cars". When you get to the end of the article the truck is a Ford 150 or similar pick up. One time a UPS guy hauling doubles went into the median and jacknifed all over the place.That got the headlines,turned out he did this to avoid a woman who had stopped in the middle lane on I 10 to look at a map. That part was at the very end.Old saying "If a airplane falls out of the sky and hits a truck,it!s the truckers fault for being there".