how can i get in touch with truck owners looking f

thecrazyhorse

Expert Expediter
crazy am looking for honest truck owner,i have worked in this industry for the last 3 years and have worked for the less than honest,so my question is this, do the companies recruit FOR the truck owners or is it pretty much a matter of finding an owner with a seat to fill thru trial and error?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
RE: how can i get in touch with truck owners looki

THE Crazyhorse;
Most companies depend on the fleet owners to recruit their own drivers. If a recruiter has a driver looking looking for a fleet owner, the recruiter will refer them to each other. I myself have always tried to match drivers with fleet owners. It is in the best interest of the company to do so. We retain the truck and incur less "down time" by assisting the fleet owners. This is most true to new fleet owners. Well established fleet owners usually develop a reputation and have referals from their current drivers.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Hi, I am a recruiter and a fleet owner. I have had my trucks at a few different companies and I have never felt that any of them did a very good job in watching the actions of the owners towards the drivers. I worked in a large company for 23 years before getting into this and have always been surprised at the way this industry works. The bottom line is there are good and bad people in every business. If you are going to drive for an owner you must feel good about them. Talk to them many times and listen carefully to the answers you get. Go back a day or two later and ask some of those same questions and see if you get the same answer. Look for consistant answers. Dig in to some personal things by making small talk and see what you think about how they run their life. I can tell you there are some bad owners and some bad drivers. Do not let money be your driving force for picking an owner. You also are in control of your success once you are in that truck. There are a number of ways to find owners. Talk to drivers at truck stops, call the companies and ask for names, check this site EO ads, go to truck dealers and ask sales people. Just be sure you go to work for the person you feel good about. Once you are working be sure you communicate with that owner. If they will not talk with you or share requested information, you picked the wrong place to be. I also suggest you drive for someone who has driven or is driving. An owner who has never run over the road, rarely understands what your needs are.raceman

Cpl_Fluff

Expert Expediter

I am an O/O with multiple trucks. I drive one my self. Good, honest, hard working competent drivers are a rarity. If they have their act together they usually already are O/O. The 3 times I have hired through the recruiter at the co. I am leased on to, it has been disasterous. I now make it a rule to only hire drivers that live within 100 mile radius of my home. I will never hire a newbee (less than 3 years expedite). No dogs in my trucks, no cats in my trucks. Having hired 2 women in the past, I know better now. The vast majority of drivers that drive other peoples equipment have: 1. No respect for the investment I have made in the equipment. 2. No idea of the expenses involved in maintaining the truck. 3. Little or no idea on the early indicators of mechanical problems that could have over the years financed my childrens college educations by fixing a minor problem before it destroyed an engine or trany. When I find a gem, that guy that knows the business, takes care of the truck, understands the mechanics, hauls the loads, I pay them extremely well. The rest: I would leave the truck parked rather than expose myself to the financial damage thats sure to follow if I break the rules above.