How are E units doing?

cliffn

Expert Expediter
My wife and I have about five years trucking experience. We did not start driving until our early fifties. Most of our experience has been in big trucks OTR (not in expediting) but we did drive a D unit for about six months that was leased to Tri-State. We have been off the road for about two years (I teach school when not driving). We are going to hit the road again at the end of this school year. We are not going to buy a truck right away. My question is this: How are the E units doing? Are there enough advantages to make it worth the extra trouble? We really enjoyed being able to take that D unit into LOTS of places you could never take a big truck but we are not wealthy people and we still need to make some money. Any advice or comments would certainly be welcome. Please do NOT tell me to keep teaching school. We do know what life on the road is like. Thanks for your help. :) :)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't run any E units, but I know a bunch of E unit drivers and owners and we talk often. From what the guys tell me they are always on the go. They tell me there is more deadheading involved but in most cases they can get the company to eat it. They also tell me they go into Canada more often. Some of the guys are always bitching about the long hours, but then they arn't team drivers. Again this is only heresay, but from some goodold boys.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Tony for the input. The last time we talked to the owner we had driven for in the past (with a D unit), he was encouraging us to drive an E unit for him. My wife is not really thrilled with doing a lot of Canada so that part may not be a "plus"...You know, when Mama a'int happy :( ... Thanks again..:) :)

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Cliff
As a team you and your wife could have all the loads you could stand.
The whole focus of late has been on Teams. Everyone wants team drivers Company and or O/Os.
Ya might better get some miles soon too. If you go into a third year of not driveing the insurance jerks are gonna consider you a rookie.
So get out there and buy yourself a $35,000 tractor and start trucking again cause there is plenty of work for E units.Conway Now was paying $1.05 for all E miles (last time I looked).

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I haven't talked to any E Unit drivers from FedEx, but I did talk to a Panther II E Unit Driver the other day, and he said they were running good as a team, but running mostly B to D unit freight. He did mention that the Panther E unit pay is $1.55 per mile.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I was starting from scratch I would definitely run a E unit.E!s can haul anything and in the case of Fedex CC they will never get than D pay.E units are in demand,never sit and other then parking problems are the best way to go. Oh I would sign with FDX CC,they have the E Business..