Hino Truck

rollybil

Expert Expediter
Owners, think twice before you buy a Hino for expediting. They have no power going up hills, put 8000 pounds in the truck and it is barely doing 40 mph up the hills. My truck is constantly having mechanical problems. The dealership says that the Hino averages 10 mpg when in fact it gets about 7 mpg. I can not keep drivers, they all quit because of poor fuel mileage. I paid $89000.00 for this truck and was told the truck is built tough and can handle the expediting, well I have found out that is not true. I paid all this money for a junk vehicle.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
A little curious what you re going to do with it now...Will you continue to put drivers in it knowing what you know, or take an enormous loss getting rid of it? Like I said.. just curious.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have thought all along they are low on power, at least for my taste. I'd have to know what "hill" it slows to 40-45 on with 8k to know how significant that is. If we're talking Monteagle that's a fairly stout "hill" and can be more easily forgiven, especially since at 40-45 you'll be passing some 18 wheelers. If we're talking the onramp to Beltway 8 in Houston then it's a definite problem.

One can buy a loaded class 8 Sterling for a little over $120k, a loaded class 7 Sterling for around $10k less than that or a loaded Hino for about $90k. The class 8 Sterling is about 1/3 more than the Hino but it will do 65 up Monteagle with 6200# on it without thinking twice. It also will have a 1M plus mile lifespan with proper maintenance.

I don't think I'd call the Hino junk but I don't consider it in the same class as the others either. You've got to give some consideration to the 3 year unlimited mile powertrain warranty. A guy could move box and sleeper to a new chassis every 3 years and never have a powertrain repair that isn't covered by warranty.

I'm very pleased with my class 8 Sterling and the excellent service I get from Jon Mosier. I see this as the best value on the market and have looked at all the offerings. That said, I wouldn't call the Hino junk. It's another option one can consider and depending on budget it may be the only option. You get what you pay for still rings true.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Reactions: dji123kid

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I own a 2006 model 3800 and I go up 11% grades at 55mph or better with 12,000 in the box might add passing other 6 and 18 wheelers too boot, what Hino do you have? I paid considerable more for it though so am thinking you have a under CDL model?

And am told by Allison after reprogramming my transmission it should do better yet.
I had a International 4900 before with 50 more hp and it did worse on smaller grades than my Hino does, also how many miles does your Hino have on it because the mileage improves considerable after about 24,000 miles I have gotten 12.8 mpg doing 55 once but mostly get 10 mpg unless out west where speed limit is 75 mph then seems to drop to about 9.5 mpg again that will change with reprogramming the tranny.
What type of mechanical problems are you having?

I have had little trouble with mine and what little I have had Hino watch took good care of me. Had the computer go bad right after buying the truck am told only 2 have ever done that and the one before mine was right at the place that was adding equipment to the truck and was caused by welding on the truck with batteries hooked up and think mine was caused by same other was a idler pulley and have had those go bad on ever truck manufacture out there since serpentine belts have come out class 8 included.

Alvin
Been busy sorry haven’t been on for a while!

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Rollybil)
Come on lets get real about this issue!

I researched many Hino owners who had their trucks since 2005 and they love them. I know many fleet owners who has purchased more of them after they bought their first unit.

I have no doubt you might have purchased a bad unit,it happens.

All Hino's are "junk & bad" I totally disagree other than the Automatices are not geared for highway use,but they are making changes as we speek.

I hope things work out for you.

It could be worse you could have a new Freightliner with out that three warranty and be going bankrupt paying out for all those repair bill's

Garman 351

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
"I researched many Hino turck owners who have had their trucks since 2005.."

That is wonderful. I have been an owner of class 7 and 8 expediter trucks for over 10 years and have done ther battle of the wills between the makes many times over. I have paid off the loans on many expediter straight trucks in full.

I'm not saying you are buying a BAD truck with a Hino. But in turn I will not apologize or feel sorry for you when you are down on your luck with a Hino or any of the other class 7 city truck garbage canners with fancy sleepers attached to them either.

Study some economics if you want to stay in business on a long term, you will live and learn.

-Mudflap-

garman351

Expert Expediter
Well (Mudflap) like everybody else you have your opinion, but you being a profet or a visionary I dont buy it either!

As technology changes all products are improved, everybody complains about the new cars having so-much electroinc's they cannot work on them anymore unless you have a college degree! Well lets look at the better fuel Mpg they get, 4 cylinder engines getting over 200K for engine life, and smaller engines making horse power like some of the older V-8's

I like your comment about fancy sleepers that has nothing to do with the subject we are talking about at all, other than you verbally attacking me for being able to afford a better sleeper to live out of for weeks at a time. I'm also very happy you have paid off all your truck loans and you are an icon & legend in the trucking industry.

(ONE MAN) Is complaining about Hino's being a bad product, and that makes all the rest junk or a bad product, Sorry not from what I see or have experienced so far and have heard from too many other owners of these vehicles!

Garman351