Help Please

Ilovechrome

Expert Expediter
I really need to know what to do to keep the steer tires from cupping. This will be my third set on my FLD112 with only 176,000 on it. I keep it aligned and balanced as well as distributing the weight of loads.I am going to get tires this weekend (firestone) no more Michelins.If anyone can give me some good advice or has had this prob let me know. My FL80 did the same thing.Thanks :) :) :)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Take it to a tire place that does balancing with a computer and a lazer.

We had a Freightliner that appeared to be balanced and the exact same thing kept happening. They put it on a machine that aligned the truck with a lazer and found the rear axle was 1/4 misaligned. Just a small mistake like that by the builder of the truck caused that much problem with the alignment. It was so slight no one could detect it with the nekkid eye.

Hope it helps
Bill

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had very good results with Dunlop tires and absolutely horrible results with Michelin!s.I run a FL 70 and have the front end aligned when I get new tires.We have a guy here in Jacksonville who is far and away the best front end man I have ever seen. Guys drive hundreds of miles to have him align their trucks. You usually need an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance. My steering tires generally last about 150,000 and the rears 275,000 or better.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Where is a good place to get an alignment in the Detroit area? We have an FL70 that is beginning to have cupping on the rears.

Wingrider

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a 2000 FL70. I replaced the factory Michelin steer tires 2 weeks ago with 197,000 miles on them. The cupping was there but no to a dangerous point. I was pleased with the mileage I got from them so I replaced them with the same Michelin. I had the front end aligned at Shafer Tire in Toledo. time will tell if they did a good job. I also had new front shocks put on at the time a replaced the tires. Maybe the abnormal tire wear is a shock problem

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I found the solution to cupping on the steers was solved with new shocks, new tires (I used BF Goodrich ST234's, but I don't think brand matters), and a computer alignment. That setup had close to 200k on my old FL70 with no cupping when I traded it in. The tires were just about worn bald, but no cupping.
Cupping on the rear tires is a different thing. My theory is that occurs from oscillation in the air ride, and that expedite trucks usually have light loads so the rears are never really loaded down. Last time I put new rears on, I made sure I religously kept all 4 inflated to 100 PSI, and with that they didn't seem to cup so bad. Someone told me tread pattern has a lot to do with that on rears, but I'm not sure I buy that.
-Weave-