Hello

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: It's over man...

Sorry but I have to disagree with you big time.i have seen Roadway,Yellow Freight among others try to expedite freight.They are simply too large to provide the service that most expediting shippers want.They do not respond and do not have the driver/contractors that will leave home at 2300 for pickups..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Hey I may be crazy but answer me this? Does Roadway,Yellow,Swifty, Jb,Schenider have drivers with DOD security clearances that can haul Military Explosives, Radioactive shipments,can they do Liftgate inside deliveries and pickups,do they have air ride suspensions with pads,straps haz/mat credentials etc..I think not.Anyone can haul automotive freight for zero per mile etc. The dollars result from how much you are willing to invest in yourself and your equipment. If you are a business oriented person looking at the bottom line you can make it with Fedex CC or the others.I have been at it for 15 years and other then 1995 have always made over $1.70 for loaded miles and $1.10 for all miles plus time off whenI want it. Somehow I don!t think if I was a driver for JB or Swift I would have the same income or lifestyle.There are times when it!s not easy but I wouldn!t trade it for anything else..

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

ILoveChrome,

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you see the parent company - FDX turning away from a $300+ million subsidiary? A business that has $0 in debt? Or leaving this market because of increased competition?

I can't think of a single time in FDX's corporate history where they turned tail and ran. If anything they get stronger.

Your comments......

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Boy did I get chewed out.. So enuff said on this topic by me.Oh I don!t have a fat butt nor do I hang out at flying J!s.Drive safe

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I respect your opinion. But I'm still able to make a decent living expediting. I don't work for FED-EX so I really don't know the situation there. But Jan has never been a record setting month for anyone. I don't see anything different this year from previous years. I hear the same thing at the beginning of every new year. Your right many people will see the repo man. Happens every year! Just like the story of JB,SWIFT,Etc... All I can say is do what is right for you. If you think "It's over man..." Your probably right! Same sh#t different year... Chrome don't get you home,But it sure looks good! But I prefer polished stainless,It don't rust... Well see ya at the chrome shop... Unless the repo-man finds you first. Either way expediting will move on. Best of luck...:+ :+ :+

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well I will just have one more comment and then stay off this topic.What I meant by Roadway,Yellow,JB etc not really being players in the expediting business is that at 2300 on a Sunday night a shipper could call Fedex,Tri State,Panther etc and have a truck on site withing 90 minutes.I doubt if that would happen if the same shipper called the large trailer load oufits for their 2 pallet shipments .Good luck and folks we all need to get along..

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's amazing how "DOWN" we can get when we are sitting around, waiting for that next load. Especially when you throw in a few other pressures like "bills are coming due soon", other trucks are getting a load out, cold or rainy weather outside that keeps you in your truck, bad news from home, maintenance due, other grouchy drivers, tired and sleepy or feeling sick,......can't imagine what it would be like having a huge chrome bill on top of all that. Then you get a run and are rolling again and it feels great to be expediting...until the next layover. This is our slower business quarter. We all know that. Please stick to good business decisions and try to find things to keep yourself busy. You'll make it.:7 x( :-( :) :7

buggs

Expert Expediter
Wah, Wah, Wah. If you think it's bad then try being an O/O. I have been through bad and worse times but you are pathetic! Go work for Walmart! I didn't like the way the big Companies did things, but I didn't through in the towel! No, I went out and got my own Authority and went into business for myself. Was it easy? is it easy? NO. but I would rather go out of business because of my own lack of thought than because I ticked off a dispatcher or a shipper or receiver. The fact is we have had a shift in paradigm. In other words the game is the same but the rules have changed. So while we sit here with our $1500.00 payments and other expenses the game will go on. Have major respect for the companies you work for. If not, try to do it yourself. you will learn a new respect for those who work behind the scenes. I am thankful I work for myself. It is not easy, but at the end of the week there is no one to blame but myself if it wasn't a good week. So keep that shiny side up and run it between the ditches. Yours Buggs.:)