Hello Expeditors!!!

alfred

Expert Expediter
I am getting in to expedite business in Canada. Maybe somebody is here to share with me or others an experience that can be useful for me and maybe to teach me. I am in contact with Thompson emergency to work for them after buying a expedite truck. Just it can be only used /i hope 1 - 2 years old/ straight truck with sleeper and 16' box. Is there anybody here to tell me : is my idea to start as a owner operator after 3 years of commercial driving /cube van/ experience crazy, or real, to earn some money for my retirement? Really, I am serious about it, just i feel short of informations about real "numbers" running out from this business. I am not able to figure out what is waiting for me on the roads, on the monthly bills, payments...Thanks and i am looking forward to hear anybody
This is absolutely fantastic world of wheels what i have found a little bit later than i could
Alfred :+ :+ :+

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hi Alfred, You didn't say what kind of expediting truck. Is it a cube truck (c-unit) or a class 7 (D-unit). If it's a D-unit (this is only my opinion) don't go with a 16 foot box you'll miss out on some good loads because the shipper might require a 24 foot. there are alot of good used 24' trucks out there. ( this is also my opinion) get a box with barn doors instead of the roll up, you'll have more clearance for forklifts to get in. might be a little pain whens it's raining or windy, but it sure beats some forklift driver smashing into your header.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

alfred

Expert Expediter
Thank you for respond. The problem is: i have only G licence in Canada, so i can drive only 11 000 ton total. I am absolutely new in this business in Canada /3 years of commercial driving was not about driving big truck with tons of loads/ i am spending right now lots of hours to read everything from these useful sites. What i know from my agent is that i can drive only straight truck with about 5 ton - 16' box. Is it true or not, actually i don't know. And i get confused of clasification B, C, D, E of the trucks. We want to go to this business with my girlfriend and we are full of emotions and on the way of getting as many informations from any sites as we can. I welcome any information. :) :) :)

alfred

Expert Expediter
oups
i forgot! i am considering of straight truck with sleeper, but i don't know it is D or C.
Al

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Alfred,
When you talk to Thompson, a good co. for Canadian expediters, their recruiter will tell you what specifications are required to run freight for them. I have ran for them before, but it was a long time ago, and I do remember they required trucks with air ride at that time, but that might have changed. You will definitely need a CDL, and if you want to be able to make some money be able to cross borders into the USA and back. Best bet is to talk to the places you plan on running for before you purchase a truck.
-Weave-

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hi again Al, CDL stands for commercial driver licence.
but some drivers refer to it as a criminal drivers licence,
because of the way were treated alot of times. I'm not sure what canada has, You might want to call your dept. of motor vehicles or whatever it is that you have in canada and ask them what you need to do to upgrade your licence to drive commerical vechicles.ie. single vehicle over 26001 # gross.

also to answer one of your other ?'s about a,b,c,d,and e units.
A= car or minivan
B= cargo van
C= cube van
D= straight truck
E= tractor trailer
W= why in the hell did i want to get in this line of work LOL.

hope this helps,
Fr8 Shaker

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: License Class

>Thank you for respond. The problem is: i have only G licence
>in Canada, so i can drive only 11 000 ton total.

Alfred: You state you have a class "G" license. I'm assuming you are in the Province of Ontario. A "G" is not a license to drive a commercial vehicle. You must get an Ontario class "D" and if you can get the "Z" airbrake endorsement. That will allow you to drive any commercial vehicle that is not a tractor trailer. I believe the Ontario D is accepted as a CDL in the United States.
The "D" is a comercial drivers license
The "DZ" is the commercial drivers license with the airbrake endorsement. If you can, you should get your "AZ" which allows you to drive all commercial vehicles except for buses.
I hope this helps.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: License Class

Thanks for the help with the Canadian licenses, RobA. I wasn't sure what Alfred was talking about as far as they went. They call the commercial licenses in the states CDL A, B or C, and you add the endorcements to them. For instance a CDL A-XP would be tractor trailer, hazmat, tanker, and passenger (bus). Confusing as can be!
-Weave-