HEEELP!

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
"Are you talking to me?"
We are a couple of guys driving as o/o taxicabs in Great Lakes area,PA.Over the years the bussines was great:$400 to $800 a week.Lately,zip.The company that we work for killed the bussines with too high rates.We have a class B-CDL with proper endorsments to start a new job with FedEx Custom Critical.We need all the PROS and CONS for the new bussines before we go ahead and spend our life savings on a new truck.Is it worth it?What kind of truck is best for us,fresh starters?What TO and what NOT TO DO from the start.Should we go with FedEx or other company?Any honest information would be great.Thank you fellows and God bless you all.DRIVE SAFE! :)

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T BUY A TRUCK. FED EX C.C. IS NOT EVEN HIRING? EVEN IF THEY WAS ITS NPT A GOOD IDEA TO BUY A TRUCK!!!!! BUSINESS SUCKS RIGHT NOW! IT MAY GET BETER BUT STILL DON'T BUY A TRUCK!!! I HOPE YOU HAVE GOTTEN MY HINT IF NOT DON'T BUY A TRUCK!!!! IF YOU WANT TO TRY DRIVING FOR FED EX C.C. THEN FIND SOMEONE WHO ALREADY OWNES A TRUCK AND GO DRIVE FOR THEM AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK. THERES ALOT OF TIME WHEN YOU SIT FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOU GET A LOAD. THERE A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR ONCE YOU LEARN THE SYSTEM AND THAT TAKES AT LEAST 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR. SO DRIVE FOR SOMEONE ELSE THEN DECIDE BUT THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE IS DO NOT BUY A TRUCK.

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
"Are you talking to me?"

"DON'T BUY A TRUCK" !!! Let me know,if you would,why not?Right now with my own taxicab I still have to pay the Yellow cab Co. over $300 a WEEK for using the NAME and the DISPATCHER SERVICE (that SUCKS).So,you figure out: over $1,200 a MONTH + gas and repairs (that is less than a truck payment)just to make $300-400 a WEEK;not to mention I put in about 70 hrs and have to deal with the scum of the earth.After 12 years of this,I AM A WALKING BOMB,ready to go off anytime.Trust me,cab driving in a major city,burns you out.I need PEACE OF MIND.Once again HELP.I am a hardworking man and I do understand that it will be some slow times like any other job,but give me some FACTS.Thank you.:(

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
CAN YOU LIVE OFF NOTHING? THATS WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE MAKING RIGHT NOW. WE WENT FROM AVERAGING 10K A MONTH DOWN TO 4K A MONTH AND THATS BEFORE EXPENSES.I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A BUT HEAD BUT IT'S MORE THAN SLOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE LOSING EVERTHING RIGHT NOW. AND ANYWAYS YOU ASKED. I HAVE BEEN IN THE EXPEDITING FOR 7 YEARS AND I'VE NEVER SEEN IT SO BAD. I'M SORRY YOUR JOB SUCKS. YOU THINK IT WOULD BE ANY BETER OVER THE ROAD. ITS REALLY NOT. ITS NOT ONLY ONE CITY YOU HAVE YOU TRY AND FIND YOUR WAY AROUND IN ITS MOST MAJOR CITY IN THE US. THEN TRY TURNING A D TRUCK AROUND IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. TO BAD IT DOESN'T STAY THAT WAY ONCE YOU'VE CROSSED THE FENCE. LOOK AROUND FED EX C.C. HAS 1200 TRUCKS AND THERE GETTING LESS THAN 400 LOADS A DAY THATS 3 DAYS YOU HAVE TO SIT BEFORE YOU GET A LOAD. AND THATS IF YOU LUCKY YOU ONLY SIT FOR 3 DAYS. YOU ASKED AND I TOLD I'M SURE MOST EVERYONE WILL AGREE DON'T BUY A TRUCK. NOT FOR A WHILE..:( :( :( :(

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
"Are you talking to me?"

Thanks a lot.I will take your word and wait a while;I hope things will get better for you that are allready in.God bless you all.:)

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
:9 I really have to be wondering if I'm driving for the same FedEx CC as the other folks who posted here. My wife and I drive as a team, although we handle many solo runs. We have had one weekday while we were working so far this year without a load on the truck. That means we have had a load at least 4 times each week out there. The work is there if you are willing to accept it.

We have a truck leased on with Diamond Delivery also that runs solo. He sometimes matches us. He's making money, but he likes to work also. He also doesn't like turning down work.

:) I will agree with the other posts here. Just starting out, don't jump into a new truck. Get one of the many used trucks out here and try it that way, see what you like or dislike about the business and the truck you choose, and make your next truck a better choice. We've been doing this 5 years and are still running used trucks.

Vernon in C2197