GPS & Moving Map Program

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just read the article on GPS on this website. I became interested in GPS in the mid-80's when I attended some safety seminars for private pilots (my favorite hobby). I purchased a handheld GPS which was programmed for all the airports in the US, and was amazed at the difference it made in flying a plane--instead of using the navigational radio signals which one learns while earning a private pilot's license. Flying was so much more relaxing with the aid of the GPS.

When I retired from my sales job in 1998 and bought my FL70 and started expediting, I immediately purchased the Delorme Street Atlas USA map program and the Delorme Earthmate GPS. They can be purchased as a package at about $150. What a bargin!! The program gives you a route, and the GPS shows you your exact position on the map. If there is construction, or an accident, and you need to detour, you just click on an icon and tell the computer, "From where I am right now, tell me how to get to my destination." The one deficiency of the Delorme program is that it is designed for the general public, so does not include weight and bridge height restrictions, or parkway restrictions in the East. If you run Canada a lot, you would also want to purchase Delorme's Map & Go program, since Street Atlas is US only. I cannot imagine truckin' without a GPS and computer map program. The peace of mind provided by this technology is well worth the price.

I just thought I would give my endorsement to the use of GPS when I read the article.