Goodbye Expediting, Hello Cruise Shipping!

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
After 3 years of ups & downs in this industry, it is time to get my life moving in a forward direction. After getting nothing but discounted freight (Ashland, PPG) I have had enough. My relationship with FXCC has come to an end.

I have enjoyed this open forum, and, as having been the 2nd person to put a post here, have seen all the good and positive things everyone has posted, as well as the bad and negative.

I was really surprised to hear about Wendy & Kevin going under; that was a big shock. I am really sorry to hear about that. Is that a sign of the times? I read somewhere on one of these forums that FXCC has 1400 drivers, and only 400 loads on the board. FXCC was up to almost 2200 drivers a year ago. Ouch!!

Within 2 hours of my leaving the company, I received 2 job offers: one hooking back up with a family that owns an airfreight company where I know I can make more money than with FXCC, but my expenses will go up as well. The second was a phone call from Montreal that books musicians on cruise ships, and, having played bass on-board for over 2 years and 6 different ships, well, I think I need a paid vacation in the Carribean! Goodbye Flying J, hello Grand Cayman!

So, as old habits die hard, I will be checking this site out often just keeping up with everyone.

Bon Voyage!!

Eric - The EX-FEDEX!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Now Eric,do you think you will sleep better down in the bottom of the ship vs a Flying J??No diesel noise or fumes just laundry machines running 24 hours,Of course you might meet someone interesting at the bandstand and she may invite you for a nightcap in her cabin,but that interlude may be forbidden by the masters at sea.LOL.
Will you be able to take the constant sunshine and salt air?Something tells me you will miss those TPS offers and the freedom to drive all night and barely break even.Your day will probably not start until 1800 and end at 0100,think about it,you could still be driving up and I75 dealing with the wonderfull folks who are UAW members.Something tells me you will be back after about 10 years or so.Can you teach me to play the SAX?? GOOD LUCK,have enjoyed your posts..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Best wishes to you, Eric. It's so sad to see everybody giving it up, esp. ones with so many years in. But I fully understand why- you can't run the freight for free. I would have gone back to local driving long ago if I weren't running with C&M, where there isn't any discounting.
Best Wishes,
Weave

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That was the best move you could have made. We all know this business has its ups and downs, but with fed ex its always down. Good luck!

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Hey everybody, I'm back; thank you so much for the understanding about what has happened. It's not really that big of a deal; just that I have a big van with 5 holes drilled in the roof.

My "vacation" was fun - just when you get settled in you have to leave. I only went out as a fill-in player until they could find someone who could stay out for the whole 4 month contract. It was a trip back in time to my earlier days before I was married (I met my wife on the love boats back in 1989) and sort of a soul searching experience wondering what the heck am I doing back out here again - that was a different time; but it was a pretty interesting cruise and a paid vacation.

I went back to a local airfrieght company the day after I got back and have done around 20 runs for the past week including one from L.A. up to San Fracisco. It's amazing how "local" some of these runs are! But it nice to be working again on a full time basis instead of sitting at home waiting for that dreaded phone call on Friday afternoon.

I labored on labor day, finished with the rubbing compound to get those nasty FXCC sign leftovers off my van. What a pain. Just one more legacy. Yes, it is time to move on with my life, and FXCC is not a part of it. If anyone bashes anybody out there for getting out of the expediting industry, well, shame on you, because there really is life after expediting, in fact I have a life now that I can make plans for. Like music lessons for the kids every Monday afternoon at 4:30, camping trips on weekends that are planned for in advance, you know, things the rest of America does after 5:00 p.m. and on weekends.

Wendy & Kevin know what I am talking about, good luck to you two on your new endeavor.

Talk to ya all later, safe driving to everyone!

Eric - The EX FED-EX