Going to LEA with my Sprinter van---any advice?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
After reading Twistoff's responce to Graybeard's post on the 19th, I am curious as to whether or not I'm doing the right thing by going to LEA with a van. Twistoff, usually a strong advocate of LEA said,"I can tell you that vans do have a hard time with freight in this system".
I would appreciate any comments on how well vans do at LEA. I would also appreciate any advice on how to do well with LEA, ie. what areas are good to sit and wait for loads with a van, which agents are best for finding van freight, etc.

Thank you,

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I'm going to make the leap to LEA from Tri-State shortly and would really appreciate as much advice as you can give me. One more mistake and I'll be in Bankruptcy court.
Thanks

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
RE: Going to LEA with my Sprinter van---advice?

LEA thinks B units are a dime a dozen & DO NOT even compensate the Recruiters for securing them. If you live in the freight "hot spots" you may do ok but where are they?If you traveled to Canada in the past, forgetaboutit! Landstar & their Canadian office(which was one of their busiest centers)have parted ways so I can almost guarantee you will dead head out of Canada. I can only say good luck to you if you do decide to try Landstar, but they are no busier then anybody else. You may want to just hold tight where you are before you add the expenses of changing to LEA, which will top $400.00 by the time you are done!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter

I strongly believe Landstar to be a great company. If you want independence & really want to run your vehicle when & where you want, then this is a great system. The only negative thing I can say is seriously consider your choice & more so, your timing. Everybody is slow right now & changing now will only cost you down time & money for your start up costs. I feel I'm an honest person & will try & give the best advice available. The best advice I can give you is wait & see. When things start getting busy & you have an little extra money & you still want to make a change, then do it & you won't have regrets. Change now, you will struggle during a time where things are already slow.

Marty

Veteran Expediter

Thanks for your reply, Twistoff!
I live in the Cleveland,Oh. area. Is that a good area for LEA?
I have been excepted by LEA and have already gone for a pre-employment drug screen and vehicle inspection.
The company I am currently with has been very slow for months so I am wondering if I would be worse off with LEA.
Can you tell me where the "hot spots" are in LEA's system and which agents are best for vans.
Thanks again.