getting started

spiderwebbj

Expert Expediter
i've been reading all the postings about getting started and most advice is to drive with another company for a year. can any one tell me a good company in michigan that would allow me to drive for them.
i really dont know much and dont even have a cdl.
i was thinking about driving a cargo van and then buying one and becoming a o/o.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Spider,

I agree with the others. Driver for someone else for at least six months. A year would be better.

Study and obtain your CDL right away. 99% of the companies won't touch you without it. Make sure to get the Haz-mat endourscement.

A good place to look for a expediting driving job is in the classified ads section of expeditersonline. look into the "drivers wanted" section.

Good luck!
Bill

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree, with Bill. You may also want to contact Bonnie at Try Hours, they are one of the few carriers that have some company equipment.
Her number is 800.334.0224

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

homeless andy

Expert Expediter
spiderwebbj,
I'm just getting started too, but I've done quite a bit of research on this site and any others I could find. This is by far the best site there is for this industry. Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are the "hot spots" for expediting. Since you live in this area, finding a company will not be too difficult. Check the classifieds here, talk to o/o's at truckstops, etc. Also, I will e-mail you a list of company websites that are in this area and utilize company owned B units. I will be testing for my CDL class C tomorrow. I think, someone please tell me if I'm wrong, this will enable me to drive a cargo van or a straight truck w/o airbrakes.
Use the search feature here and read the posts, learn as much as you can before jumping in. I hope I've helped you out.
One more thing, make sure you get the HazMat endorsement, it's a must for most companies.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, you will be able to run the van and a straight truck under 26,000 lbs gross without air brakes with the CDL C. You will in most states need to take the road test in a truck over 16,000 gross or you will be limited to under that on the CDL C. Take it with a rental truck, preferably one with a standard shift or you'll also be limited to an automatic. (Do they make it a PAIN or what with all the little "endorcements?)
-Weave-