Getting my own authority

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How do you do this? With boards like Urgent Freight and Expedite loads, is it a good idea? I've been spending too much time waiting around for dispatch,the straw that broke the camel's back was,after 32 hours dwell time,another truck pulled into the same truck stop I was in, within 2 hours they had a load,only 54 miles, but I sure would've taken it rather than sit.The frosting on the cake was, that after taking this load,less than 75 miles,that I hadn't even been offerred, they were put ahead of me in line for the next load. When I asked dispatch why they got the load instead of me(they had virtually no dwell time)I was told it was because they were closer. I could have spit on thier truck! How much closer could they have been!? Oh well, no sense crying over spilt milk,maybe its time to strike out on my own. Does any one have any advice,experience,or comments? Info on costs associated with your own authority and permits etc;would be greatly appreciated thanks.

G

Does any one
>have any advice,experience,or comments? Info
>on costs associated with your
>own authority and permits etc;would
>be greatly appreciated thanks.

Treeman,

Keep checking Expediters Online. We have an article in the works about getting your own authority and hope to have it up on the site very soon.

Jeff Jensen
Senior Field Editor

ladyex

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't do it unless you are prepared for it. I mean if you have a committed account(s) then you would be okay but don't depend on brokers, red book, or load boards to do it. I have 7 trucks and I got mine back in the summer. All the freight that we could find avg. .30 cents per mile. The costs are signifigant. It's about 1,000.00 to file for contract & common carrier. Then you must buy permits, be in a drug program, and you must carry your own insurance which is higher than the lease companys. I leased my truck back on until I can get dedicated accounts built.

Ladyex