Getting into the business

spop_2000

Expert Expediter
I am currently a firefighter in Newark,Ohio, and considering trying to do this on my days off. I work 24 hours on and 48 off with 5 days off every 3 weeks. I have been thinking of purchasing a one ton pick-up with dual rears and a trailer. Are there any companies out there in my area that utilizes this set up? What size trailer would be needed.
I drove tractor trailer about 18 years ago and have comercial driveing school under my belt which was completed in 1984. I drove for Commercial Carrier Corporation and H.L. Stansel out of Florida.
any assistance would be appreciated.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
SPOP_2000,
Welcome to the forum. To be honest with you, I don't think that any of the larger expediters would be able to utilize such a vehicle. Most of us have a cargo van division as the smallest type unit used for expedited freight and normally it is used over the road. To have a set schedule may be pretty difficult also. Usually, your schedule has to be pretty flexible to fit in to the expedite industry and for you to be at your other job would probably complicate things.

Thanks for the question and you might want to look at some local cartage in your area to fill in some spare time you may have.

ABC