gadgets and tools you can't do without

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was reading a travel article about things to pack for a trip.
I'm always on a trip. I got to thinking about the things i take, with me that are indepensable to me. Things like my fm walkie talkies, which i've had for years. I now have the small ones (family radio band 38 channels AAA batteries). i can't tell you how many times i've used them. Shipper location to truck, in a shopping center, etc. Then there is my monocular (half of a binocular, that fits in the palm of my hand) for finding those addresses, as well as bieng able to see down the road when stopped in traffic. My cigarette lighter plug in spotlight (for obvious reasons). And of course my trusty folding eating utensil set, that unfolds like a penknife. I'd like to know what you consider your "indepensables". I need a new gadget! So put it down here.:7

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Great Topic! :)

Laptop, definitely a laptop. Two years ago a laptop was a luxury...now I think it is required for the road.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Short of my laptop, I guess my next best friend is my well equipped toolbox. I got a level 1 inspection the other week, and as the trooper went to scrape off my old CVSA sticker her scraper lost its razor blade. She was astounded that I not only had that, but a bottle of lighter fluid to remove the old glue too. If there is only one tool you carry with you, make it a pair of vice grip pliers- you'd be amazed what they can do when needed.
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I wouldn't leave the house without duct tape. I wrap about 5 feet around a pencil and keep it in the box. Had to use it last week to temporarily stop a fuel leak where a hose rubbed a hole in the line.

BamaVanMan

Expert Expediter
I'll agree with Lawrence. A laptop is now a necessity in expediting--if you want to be effective. I keep my driving log and my expenses on my laptop, but I use my laptop most to find shipper and consignee adresses via GPS. A good map can get you to a city, but a GPS can get you to the door without having to stop ten times to ask for directions--which most people cannot give. Did I forget to mention e-mail and games.
C-YA on the road!;-)