florida and expediting

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
I live in florida, ft. myers to be exact. Is it a waste of my time to eve n think about expediting. if i'm willing to be out 3 to 4 weeks is it still a waste of my time to think about expediting? I am single and do not own realestate. I have a cdl a with all endorsements. I got my cdl in 1996 and have never used it.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Most expediting companies don't have any freight coming out of Florida. More than likely you will have to go to Ga,Sc,or Al, to get a load.
Right now with the economy down(especially the manufacturing segment),expediting is very slow. Many people are losing their shirts. If I were you I would continue to learn about expediting, if you think you would like to do this, but wait until the economy is doing well before getting into it.

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
I am thinking about driving for an owner ooperator. I live in Florida. The owner operator will consider me as a driver if i stay out for 4 weeks. i even had one who asked me if i want to be a cdl A codriver. i go t my cdl in 1996 and never used it . this would give me a chance to get cdl A experience and then get a real truck job. Would a conventional truck company consider 1 years experience driving with and expediter as valid experience? you say the economy is bad. i am single. i don't need ot make $2000.00 per week. 77 cents per mile as a cdl team driver with an A license. I think this is good considering I have zero experience and got my cdl 6 years ago. or i could drive a staight truck by my lself and gross anywhere from 0 to $1000.00 per week. but i would have to be out 4 weeks. I also would have to drive my caar to south georgia. to me this sounds good. but i'm hungry for the good life. someone else nto so hungry, might not think this sounds good.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I can't be the judge whether or not this arrangment is good enough for you financially. I can tell you that as long as you can prove your experience at driving a tractor trailer, it doesn't matter if it is for an expedited freight company or any other kind of trucking company. If you believe this is the best way for you to get into "real" trucking then go ahead.