FL106 Expediter

G

I was wondering if anyone is running a FL106? Comments on the DD series 50 engine appreciated. Also, does the unimount air ride for sleeper and cab make a lot of difference in the ride?

G

Gary,

What do you see as the biggest difference between the FL70 and the FL106 in terms of dirver comfort/features?

Interested in your view other than running with a Class 8 drivetrain.

Rams Fan

G

Not much difference, they have the same cab. My 106 has air ride
under cab and sleeper, so I was hoping that would help. ( I haven't taken delivery yet). The main thing is the heavy duty attributes of the 106, 320hp DD engine with 500K warranty and 9speed Fuller Eaton tranny with 750k warranty on drivetrain. The 106 is heavier than the FL70. My current FL70 has been very costly due to frequent downtime. 7 Speed Spicer tranny has been re-placed 3 times since June, 1998.

G

Gary,

What is the projected weight difference (w/ driver and 1/2 fuel) between your FL70 and the F106? Will you be able to scale 13,000 pounds and keep to one rear axle?

I believe the Eaton-Fuller 9 speed you're getting has a .74 OD. What rear axle ratio are you going with? A 3.90 I'm guessing?

As a side note, heard many good things about the DD Series 50. Good luck and looking forward to a full report once you pick up your new truck!

Rams Fan

G

No, I cannot scale 13000 payload with the 106. But 95% of my loads are under 10,000 anyway. I think the few loads I will miss will be more than made up for with the dependability factor. This unit should last longer and I've been told, has a higher re-sale value later on. You are correct on the tranny and rear axle ratio. The FL106 should be about 1500 lbs heavier than the FL70 according to the dealer, however, some owners have told me the weight will actually be about 2200 lbs more! You can keep the weight down by using a sleeper from AA, but my company said the weight should not be a major concern since most loads are under 10k anyway.

G

Gary,

Thanks. Sounds like a GREAT set-up and you've really done your homework.

Question: On the FL106 frame with the Class 8 drivetrain, is this still a single-axle 33,000 pound GVW truck (in other words, no 12% FET)?

Just out of curiousity, have you considered the Eaton-Fuller Super-10 box vice the 9 speed? The idea here is to streight lever-shift it like a 5 speed 'till you get in top gear. Once there, when pulling a grade, it's a simple button-shift from 10th to 9th (and back again).

I found, from back in my Class 8 semi-truck days, that shifting a Super-10 was easier than working a standard 9 speed (with the range shift between 5th and 6th). Novice drivers will have an easier time with the Super-10 (my opinion, anyway).

Rams Fan

G

Just curious,can u advise the additional cost for a fdl 106,I have run A FL 70 for years and it is a ok truck,but I like the additional warranty you can get with the Detroit d and the Fuller 9 speed,However does the extra cost justify it??

G

The difference between a FL106 and Fl70 with like options is between 7 and 8 thousand dollars. Money well spent in my opinion. I added the unimount air ride for cab and bunk for an extra 2K. You can spend a lot more on options of course. Call Dave at 888 500 2865 for complete info. (I think he's on vacation for a few more days)

G

By any chance do you mean Dave Epling near Akron,He is a good fiend of mine and is selling trucks for Buckeye Freightliner these days.That price differential doesn!t sound bad,as the additional warranty helps you sleep better,especially when your present truck is pushing 400K.Thanks for the info.

G

Yes, I am staying with a 6 wheeler, don't want the extra expense of a tag axle. GVWR is 33K. As for the super 10, I haven't had much experience with those. The only time I drove one, from Alabama to Montreal, I did not get used to it. Guess I'd need another day or two! On my next truck, hopefully several years in the future, I think I will try one. Of course my boss,(wife) wants an automatic, so we'll see.

G

The Dave I refered to is with Alumi Bunk in Chicago. Several owners suggested him, this is my first deal with them, however. I need to get a job with Alumi Bunk, Dave has been on vacation since first part of December!

G

A 60-72 inch Rhodes Rambler sleeper while not as fancy as the Alumi Bunk models are considerably lighter and cheaper/Rhodes is out of Bowling Green KY.Just thought I would pass it along.

G

Mark Northern with FreightLiner Of knoxville has a FL-106 with Sleeper, D-Unit Van body and Bentz sleeper. I saw it over the Holidays.

G

Yea, I called him and he told me he had one. Said he would get price and info and call me back; he never did. I called him twice after that and he never gave me any info or returned calls. Guess he wants to keep it!

G

Gary we have been running a 106 since 11/24 and love it compared to the 70. For a team, with LOTS of equip and personal stuff in the bunk, full of fuel ready to go we scale at 20580#. The pulling power and overall performance of the 106 will make you a believer right away. With my husband and I coming out of big trucks into a 70 (only for a 6 week "trial" run) the 106 would surely be our choice in the business class series. Good Luck with the new truck. Frosty

G

Thanks all for the info. Glad to hear from Frosty Doll that the 106 is passing the grade. I had a little buyer's remorse for a day or two, but hopefully, that will go away after a few runs in the new unit. Now if I can find a lot of freight...