fl 70's transmission

dawggone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
does anyone who owns a fl 70 have problems with the shifter tower? Curious to know if it ever locks into reverse and then wont unlock without taking the shifter out. If anyone knows how to prevent this I would like to know. We have one fl 70 that this has happened on several occassions.

Thank you

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a FL 70 with the Fuller Eaton 6 speed and a couple of years ago at around the 500,000 mile range it used to lock up in 6th gear.It was much worse in the hot weather. I had to get a new housing cover ,new ball mechanism ,springs and so on. It cost about $1400 and while they had the transmission out I had them put a clutch in. The mechanic said that since 95% of the miles were in 6th gear the shifter has actually worn a groove into the housing and when it expanded due to the heat it would swell up.My wife was unable to get it out of gear and I would really have to slam it to get it out.
But reverse worked OK.. Good Luck

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I own Fl70s and FL80s and they have Spicer 7 speeds in them. I just had big problems and I did a lot of research on that tranny. R and first are not synced and they do tend to be positions of problems. If you have a Spicer and want more info let me know and I can give you some numbers to call as well as fax you some info. You can call General Truck parts in Chicago, a distributor of transmissions and talk with them. One of the tech people there was very helpful to me.

raceman