Five-state, 24-hour crackdown on unsafe rigs start

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
LANSING, Mich. – On Wednesday, truckers traveling through Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky better have their logbooks in order and their rigs ship-shape, because state police motor carrier officers are mounting a 24-hour coordinated enforcement effort aimed at “unsafe commercial vehicles.â€

The effort is focused on improving traffic safety and reducing crashes, stated a Michigan State Police (MSP) news release.

Enforcement in Michigan, the MSP noted, will occur along I-75 from Sault Ste. Marie to the southern border. Indiana enforcement efforts will be conducted on I-70 and the Indiana Toll Road from the Ohio and Illinois state lines and I-64 from the Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio state lines.

Data was unavailable from Kentucky and Illinois State Police on exactly what highways are being targeted. However, the Indiana State Patrol’s news release said that all enforcement efforts are focusing on “heavily traveled commercial vehicle corridors.â€

The media “kick-off†for the efforts will take place at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Richmond, Ind., Platform Scale Facility on Westbound Interstate 70, 10 miles west of the Ohio/Indiana State line.

Officers in each of the five states “will be on the lookout for the unsafe operation of commercial vehicles with a focus on driver factors that contribute significantly to crash causation including speed, careless driving, driver qualifications, Hours of Service and the transportation of illegal contraband,†according to the Michigan release.

And, the Indiana release noted that officers will be looking at such things as driver licensing, medical certification verification, logbook entries, vehicle licensing, vehicle mechanical components, emergency equipment and annual vehicle inspection certifications required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

According to the Michigan State Police, “additional joint enforcement efforts will occur throughout the year with a focus on driver and motor carrier compliance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.â