felony convictions and canada

jamesashby

Expert Expediter
:+ WHY DO WE AS AMERICAN'S HAVE TO CHECK IN AND OUT WITH CANADA WHEN ENTERING THEIR COUNTRY. I WAS CONVICTED OF A FELONY 26 YEARS AGO AND TO THIS DAY I STILL CANNOT GO INTO CANADA. THIS IS REALLY HURTING ME IN THE ASPECT OF DRIVING A TRUCK.I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY WE HAVE TO HAVE A TON OF PAPER WORK TO GET INTO THEIR COUNTRY,BUT WE NEVER ASK THEM FOR THEIR PERSONAL BACKGROUND WHEN THEY COME INTO THE UNITED STATES. I HAVE A CLASS B CDL,AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY QUITE A FEW COMPANIE'S THAT "NO WE CAN'T HIRE YOU,YOU CAN'T GO TO CANADA. WELL THIS IS WHAT THIS HAS BOILED DOWN TO.I HAVE TOLD MY WIFE THAT IF I CANNOT FIND A JOB DOING WHAT I GOT THE CDL FOR I AM GOING TO LEAVE HER,BECAUSE IT IS EASIER FOR ONE TO LIVE THAN TWO.HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am not sure how the procedure works but you can apply for a Canadian Pardon and if you receive it you will be able to operate within Canada.Perhaps someone knows the procedure.Most of the expediting companies have safety departments that probably can instruct you in what needs to be done.Good luck and you should stay with your wife,it!s probably not her fault what happened 26 years ago,Good women are hard to find these days..

LrBcom

Expert Expediter
There is a company called Pardon Services that deals with this type of thing. Their telephone number is: 204-453-0099. They are based in Canada and I believe that you can locate other firms that do this too by researching on the internet. Good luck

Dave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: felony convictions and canada(and divorce)

Leave my wife because I'm not making enough money? Dang....never thought of that one.....:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am in the process of hiring a driver that had a felony conviction. You will need to get a Minister's Permit before most companies will sign you on. You will need to contact the Canadian Immigration office to start this process. The phone number is 313-567-2085. This number is for the office in Detroit, MI. I can tell you that the process can take quite a while and you may need to supply a lot of paperwork depending on your felony.

Good Luck!

Jeff

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi James!
Welcome to the forum, and to OUR FAMILY!!!

I can understand the frustration about the felony, but what does your wife have to do with all that? Did she make you committ the crime? It sounds like your the type of person that can't own up to your own *^#@o@#, always pionting the finger at the other person. Maybe you can't get a job because of the way you act. Why should you care about the paper work of others? You should be asking the gang here on the forum, to give you ideas on how to be a responsible person, and for ideas on growing up!!! If I'm wrong then I apologize for judging you so, but I'm willing to bet I hit the nail right on the head. Have a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year, and get rid of all that anger in you.