Fedex Home

DADD2theBONE

Expert Expediter
lOOKS LIKE YOU COULD ONLY GROSS ABOUT $55,000, HOWEVER YOU ARE HOME EVERYNIGHT, WORK IS AS SURE AS IT CAN BE IN THIS BIZ,NEED P550,THEY ARE NEW AND EAGER. SHOULD NET ABOUT $34,000.......THEY PROVIDE RELIEF DRIVERS IN RENTAL TRUCKS, OR YOU CAN HIRE YOUR OWN.CAN MAKE SOME EXTRA ON INCENTIVES.

robhtz

Expert Expediter
Hello, I contracted with FedEx Home for about a year in the Chicago suburbs. It is geared more for the major metropolitan areas. I was grossing $1000 to $1200 a week, with 80-100 stops a day. Less than a 100 miles a day. 12-14 hours a day. This doubled in November and December. I had to put on a second truck and driver for those two months. My cousin contracts with them in a less populated area. He only gets about 50 stops. 350 miles a day. 12 hours a day. and only $500-$750 gross a week. They run Tuesday thru Saturday. I felt more like an employee than a contractor. You don't have much say in anything. Your expected to deliver everything they give you each day, even if it takes till midnight. There's quite a bit of big heavy freight i.e. small furniture, computers. I used a small cube van, 12'x6'x6'. It was packed from top to bottom front to back every day. All in all it's descent money if you live in a big city, and don't mind a lot of long hours and hard work. At least your home every night. I just got burned out on it. Hope this helps.

DADD2theBONE

Expert Expediter
Thats what made me decide aginst this deal, the long hours it take to deliver your load each day,although you are compensated according to the density of your route. I also felt you would be more of an employee than a buisness owner and they could pretty much limit what you would gross. It is'nt the worse deal in the world,but you are really tied down to it.

Taz

Expert Expediter
I am with Federal Express as an employee. Probably the best thing to be with any of the Fed Ex divisions. I know quite a few of the Fed Ex Ground (formerly RPS) guys. And some are making money and some aren't. Same thing though. Long hours minimum 12 a day but you are home every night. So what. If you don't have the energy to do anything and go right to bed what is the difference of being at home or climbing in a sleeper? The owner operator divisions of Fed Ex (Ground and Home Delivery) are run more like employees than independents. This is due to the fact that Fed Ex almost demands of the independents the same service level to the customer as it does it's Express employees. Fed Ex has a identity crisis going on where they don't want their reputation of fast express delivery damaged but don't want to make the independents employee's because of union implications. Federal Express is hitting some hard times. They have offered 14,000 salaried employee early retirement or severance packages. If they don't get enough takers lay offs could be coming.
The Ground and Home delivery services are rapidly growing but I don't think the pay off is worth the investment.

redddfeather1

Expert Expediter
Very good and accurate posts gentlemen. I might add, if ever a contractor is "selling" a route, make sure you analyze the maintenance records of his truck closely and have it checked out by a mechanic. The terminal I was at also treated MY TRUCK as their truck. Also, in this particular terminal, the focus was more on dog-eat-dog climbing the management ladder as opposed to customer focus. Truck loading was a joke----looked like a trash can and there was another 1.5 hrs to get it straight. Needless to say, I terminated with them very quickly. Just look on Monster and see how much turnover these two divisions have throughout the country. In closing, my terminal was west of the Mississippi--nuff said.

Crazy Eddie

Expert Expediter
Thanks much DADD2 for starting this thread. I can just go home and throw away that peice of paper with all that FedEx info on it. I am not gonna waste my time with that bull!!}>

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FYI!!!

Just to add!!! Every home delivery driver I talk to hates it. Most tell me the only reason they are still with the home delivery is because they locked themselves in with a van or truck note and no other job to go to for the moment. I could (if I wanted) buy 3 to 5 trucks and routes right now. Over all I think you are doing the right thing by throwing that paper away.

newthead

Expert Expediter
I checked them out a few weeks ago. They seem to have a high turn-over rate(high for O/O company) It isn't really driving anyway....it's a bunch of loading and unloading with a little driving in between.