FedEx CC

Searge

Expert Expediter
My wife and I are joining the FedEx CC team on 14 Oct. We will be driving a D unit. We're going to Atlanta today to pick out a truck. I drove for Swift Trans OTR for a year and locally for Fleetwood here in Louisiana hauling pine chips for awhile. So I have a little experience with hauling loads. We are looking forward to getting out on the road again after being off for a month.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Been there as a driver for another contractor and then went back as a contractor. Tried to last but they wore me down and I tried to put a driver on the truck and they wore him down. Things are changing at Fed Ex CC but for the better or worse nobody knows. They just recently sent me a letter asking me to come back. I think I will let you go and then you can tell all of us WHAT IT IS LIKE AT FED_UP CC.
Lots of luck?????????????????

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
hey searge,glad to have you in the family. me and my wife have been working fedex c.c. since july 15th, and we love it.if you have spent much time exploring this site you probably are saying to yourself what am i getting myself into.we thought the same thing just before we started,but other than a few minor annoyances (every company has those)it has been great. i'm not sure what lureveto means when he says he tried to make it but they wore him down,me and the wife get worn down also but its from running hard when were out there.alot of the complaints we read had to do with fedex having too many trucks for the amount of loads that were available,when we are being run ragged we find ourselves wondering WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHER TRUCKS !!!.so about all i can tell you is right now there is plenty of work, the money is good,and if you get too burnt out on the road you can always take a few days off at home to recharge.(just remember to go out of service for one extra day more than you had planned,because they will start calling you at home a day early)GOOD LUCK,and hope to meet up with you out on the road somewhere. Doggie Daddy

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with Doggie-Daddy. The only way FedEx CC has run us ragged has been with our own choosing, as the freight is certainly there. It is unusual to sit 24 hours anywhere unless on the weekend, and we get some long runs on the weekend simply by being available.

Other than suggesting you take everything offered for the rest of this year as you learn this system, I also suggest you post a request like this well in advance to allow time for rethinking. You're barely be getting started in time to build up a cash reserve to get you thru the lean times from Dec 25 to mid-March. Luck to you both, and speak to C2197 when you pass us.

Vernon

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Vernon,curious to know how old C 2197 is. I drive D 2824 and it is a 1996 presently 6.5 years old.This year they gave me an extension (in writing) that would allow me to run the truck 8 years instead of the normal 7. I am going to start working on trying to get a 10 year deal. If this was to come about I would overhaul everything and prove it out to Akron. Nice not to have any payments. My first unit was D 702 then the next truck was D 1564.We have probably met somewhere.that was good advice you offered to the new contractors.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RichM,
Yes, there is a very good chance we have met somewhere as we try to talk to every expeditor we see.

C2197 is a 1998 GMC. It started life with The Tri-State fleet, and we bought it from a friend and moved it over to FedEx CC.

FedEx CC is pretty inflexible about the age requirement, although that may change again if they can't recruit enough new blood. I have found 2 good places to be with an older truck. First is Diamond Delivery, where our old C2007 (95 Freightliner) is alive and well. The other is Landstar. Both don't seem to care about age as long as it functions well.

Vernon

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Dang i am feeling like a newbie! My first truck at Roberts/FECC was DR2573! My second was D2757 I am now in D3038.