Fake it till you make it?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Why is that some people choose to pretend they know how to do something rather than admit they don't and ask for help?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Possibly bad experiences asking for help before or they feel that asking for help makes them look bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is that some people choose to
pretend they know how to do something rather than admit they don't and ask for help?

Don't let it get to ya. There are millions of us out there. Hey, atleast I admitted it, lol.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Don't let it get to ya. There are millions of us out there. Hey, atleast I admitted it, lol.

Very true and I myself admit when I need help or advice, I was at a truck stop recently and trying to add oil onto my fuel the cashier was new and was having a hard time with this, she said " I'm still new to this system " I asked if the other cashier could help her and she said " she probably could but ill figure it out " 12 mins later she was still working at it! :(

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very true and I myself admit when I
need help or advice, I was at a truck stop recently and trying to add oil onto my fuel the cashier was new and was having a hard time with this, she said " I'm still new to this system " I asked if the other cashier could help her and she said " she probably could but ill figure it out " 12 mins later she was still working at it! :(

Thanks for sharing. Wow! 12 mins, that's plently of time to sing Amazing Grace. Bet cha the whole place be smiling when you done, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT88jBAoVIM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
egos, its all about the egosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, we cant stand to be wrong or appear unlearned..............................

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
egos, its all about the egosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, we cant stand to be wrong or appear unlearned..............................

I guess I can see that argument but then again some people seem to think they know it all!!

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
It's mans pride, mixed with insecurities......learned or otherwise. Notice how children are not this way (used to be, anyhow) not to be confused with stubbornness, in which many children posses a streak.

In an ideal community of givers, and thinking/caring for others.....it's actually considered a strength to ask for help. You complement the other person when asking for it.

They in turn respect you for having done so, knowing they've been there themselves. This was always a woman's strength in the home, as it indicates a nurturing quality. This could be why a woman used to stop and ask for directions, and be confused/disgusted when a man would not.

We've lost that, right along with the glue which used to hold a social society together....the wonderful nurturing quality of females. Once you lose that and they become just like the men? Say goodbye to social order, as it was the women who held it together.

All she had to do to help you, was ask for help.

Last edited:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Women's strength is in the home...how dare they act like men and work! What's the world coming to?

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Right. Just as planned.

See the above.

Sarcasm...while reading your post it wasn't quite sexist but almost. To some extent I believe feminism is a curse, but that's a whole different topic.
The problem isn't women or men, the problem is both sexes believe they know it all and if not lying about is better than admitting you don't!

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
your post it wasn't quite sexist but almost.

Hmmm.....Don't see it that way but sexist and racist are two worn out words IMV. Methinks it's time for the American public to grow up and jettison those two from the vocabulary, and stop using them to create imaginary victims?

To some extent I believe feminism is a curse, but that's a whole different topic.

Your right, and not to be discussed openly, or on an even playing field, because the aforementioned label is at the ready.

The problem isn't women or men, the problem is both sexes believe they know it all and if not lying about is better than admitting you don't!

Agree wholeheartedly, but we're discussing the why, not the stated dilemma. The why is still etched in the pride stone, right along with the lost integrity formally engrained in the American dream era. There was a time when these people were marginalized and drug out into the open light of day to be exposed.

Try speaking truth to power now a days and see what happens? My guess and witness is; you will be drug out and exposed as an intolerant, goody two shoed, knuckle dragging idiot who just can't seem to get into the flow. We lie nowadays, and if you can't cover for your cooperate master, fellow partner, or even your immediate supervisor? We'll find someone who can, and will.

Doggone it man, and I was trying so hard to comply. ;)

Last edited: