Expediter Friend Glen Rice Now in Hospice

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A number of veteran expediters will remember Glen Rice, who was a role model and good friend to the expediting community for many years. It has been my honor to spend the last six days with him at the hospital and to support him now in hospice as his death approaches. Glen was hospitalized last week. Yesterday, at his request, he was transferred to hospice, where he will receive comfort-only care until he passes. The hospice facility and staff are fantastic. His daughter will arrive soon to be at his side.

As mortal human beings, none of us are getting out of this alive. Lifelong trucker Glen is deeply grateful for the life, work, adventures and fun he had on the road. It was a touching moment when he told me he was at peace about never driving again.

I'm posting this because Glen is asking me to tell everyone how important it is to prepare for the end of your life. It happens to very few people that death comes easy and without complications. It's important to treat your business like a business. And it's especially important to put a little money away each week or month. That gives you options you would not otherwise have at the time of your life when having options is more important than any other time of life.

If you do not take care of yourself financially, and with things like healthcare insurance, living wills, advance healthcare directives, next-of-kin arrangements, etc.; you will end up in a nightmare scenario where the mental and emotional stress is intense, your physical strength and functional abilities are limited, physical pain is likely present, and strangers are making decisions for you. Those strangers will be medical professionals who will run you through a system designed to extract as much money from you as possible for the healthcare system's benefit.

As I sat with Glen three days in the hospital emergency department and three days in a hospital room, I saw all sorts of people pass through this system. This was an eye-opener. The difference between people who were prepared and those who were not was profound.

Glen was a role-model expediter and he is a role-model man to his dying breath. Even in hospice, he is thinking about you, his fellow truckers, and doing what he can to help you do well in life.

Please heed Glen Rice's advice, expediter friends. Treat your business like a business, and prepare for your death. The more you have prepared for your death, the better life will be for you and your loved ones.

Photos show some of the trucks Glen built and ran over the years. His yellow "Lil Deuce Coupe" CR-Unit was the ongoing talk of the town when he appeared with it on the road and various truck shows.

Attachments

• GlenRice05.jpg
    GlenRice05.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 13
  • GlenRice08.jpg
    GlenRice08.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
  • GlenRice12.jpg
    GlenRice12.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 13
  • GlenRice24.jpg
    GlenRice24.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Glen was a great representative of the entire trucking industry.
He was an absolutely amazing cat to speak with, hotrod cars to hotrod trucks put him on the same page as myself.
He will be dearly missed.