Etrack sidewall install for tool boxes

Acidic

New Recruit
I'm a contractor getting a new sprinter van 2500 HR 170wb (using a trailer doesn't work for my biz / clients, tight downtown locations), unfortunately the sprinter forums don't have much useful content and I'm not finding much online. I searched most of this forum on how you guys set up e track on the sidewalls. to get a idea on how best to install my etrack.

my goal is to mimic this

https://www.reddit.com/r/workwagons/comments/nr5hov
i have as much crap if not more than these pics. but this example is a trailer and not a van.... i'm only finding this done in trailers....
seems like you guys using the load rials of the van to mount to.

packout boxes don't work with the normal trades van shelving. and the packout e track set up will also allow me to take my tools out as needed to take van camping. load up the dirt bike, and be able to haul pallet loads for the occasional job.

my tool boxes weigh about 50lbs (or at least my racking shelfs say only 50lbs max), yet to weight my boxs but some get pretty heavy, so I'm worried about the etrack ripping out with all the city driving i do.

I'm looking at putting 3 rows of horizontal E-tracks installed for my packout racking shelfs. in order to keep the per 24in shelf weight under 50lbs. for entire 10ft etrack is single large box stack would be about 250 to 325lbs.

may be able to just use the two etracks and mount them to the vans two horizontal supports the van has, but the spacing wouldn't be ideal. then some shelfs would have closer to 100lbs per 2ft shelf as boxes will be doubled up. so them my per track length load would be close to 500 to 650lbs

most of my boxes are 12 to 20in tall without the racking shelfs. the vans horizontal load rail is at 28in and 62in above wood floor 33in between load rails and 11in to roof ( which makes the upper rail useless other than for my slim screw boxes. so I'm pretty sure i have to mount my tracks outside of the load rail locations

i'm thinking i may have to put up some plywood on entire wall, or mount 2x6 to the wall of the van then mount the E-tracks to the 2x6.

I'm still awaiting delivery of my van due to seatbelt recall since Aug. so without the van on hand to dryfit my tool boxes into, it is kind of hard to know what exact positions I'll need the track.

mounting hardware ive seen to use plusnuts or rivnuts. or just bolts washers and nuts. vs self taking screws, as these risk blowing out i do have a commercial rivet gun i can do 1/4 blind rivets with as well.

Attachments

• side rails.png
    side rails.png
    227 KB · Views: 3

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I put etrack in my van I had a local body shop with a good reputation install it. They used some sort of adhesive that is stronger than welding and then welded spots also just for good measure. I never had an incident that tested it but always felt confident it would stand up to anything short of a complete totalling accident. Good luck.

Acidic

New Recruit
When I put etrack in my van I had a local body shop with a good reputation install it. They used some sort of adhesive that is stronger than welding and then welded spots also just for good measure. I never had an incident that tested it but always felt confident it would stand up to anything short of a complete totalling accident. Good luck.
Welding it on is a idea as well. I also plan on having some insulation in as well so my paint, caulking and premixed drywall patch have less risk of freezing in the winter. So unsure how the insulation will work when also welding the etrack on.( Not sure yet what insulation yet either have wool or some pre cut foam I found. ) My upfiter only does wool insulation and won't touch the e-tracks.

Looking like would only be able to attach the e-tracks to the vertical supports on the van so u sure how the e track in the "window" bays will behave when not attached to anything.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welding it on is a idea as well. I also plan on having some insulation in as well so my paint, caulking and premixed drywall patch have less risk of freezing in the winter. So unsure how the insulation will work when also welding the etrack on.( Not sure yet what insulation yet either have wool or some pre cut foam I found. ) My upfiter only does wool insulation and won't touch the e-tracks.

Looking like would only be able to attach the e-tracks to the vertical supports on the van so u sure how the e track in the "window" bays will behave when not attached to anything.
I had one row of etrack just above the wheel wells so no interference with windows. My main securement was via the etrack on the floor. I had the etrack put on the floor and side walls before taking the van to the upfitter so they just did the walls in two segments, above and below. My dad and I did the floor 3/4 inch plywood around and between the etrack.

Acidic

New Recruit
I have a cargo van.. really just meaning window areas as there is no where there seems to be no supports to attach etrack to those areas, there may be but really hard to tell just from the diagrams I've seen. The van i'm getting has the plastics wall covers already installed with the push button retainers. so i couldn't tell if there is supports to mount under them. since i cant take them off in the dealers storage yard. MB wont let me buy the van till the recall seatbelt is fixed, no eta on parts since aug.... so all i can do is research for the last 6 months and get supply's together..

i kind of mocked up where i think my tracks will go in relation to the vans horizontal support bars. the red lines are just guesses so to me the upper two etracks in red dont have much material on the van to screw into.. the bottom on above the wheel well not to concerned over... as much more areas to screw into. my yellow lines are how far off the floor i think i may want them. think i'll need 20in between the etracks

Attachments

• Track heights.png
    Track heights.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 4

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I bought my 4- 12' sections of etrack, ( cheapest at a semi trailer dealer/repair shop, like Utility), I wish I would of known about this new type of e-track with the horizontal and vertical slots in it. Buy galvanized etrack. Resizer_16423904901800.jpg

Acidic

New Recruit
When I bought my 4- 12' sections of etrack, ( cheapest at a semi trailer dealer/repair shop, like Utility), I wish I would of known about this new type of e-track with the horizontal and vertical slots in it. Buy galvanized etrack.
I had seen those. I do have 5 horizontal 10 fts and 2 10ft vertical. Already I got from a semi trailer shop. I tried finding who had it online but no dice and happened to be passing a trailer shop and stopped in and they said a place a block away had it.

Already have thunderbolt electronic deadbolts for all the doors for added security. I don't care for puck locks I have on my two express vans my employees run.

Have my partition picked out. And side steps

Debating on the midcity engineering alarm along with compustar t11 remote start and the proximity unlock and tracking.

Still need to figure out my house battery set up to run my tool battery chargers and corded miter saw and concrete drill. Know how to hook it all up just not sure on what batteries, inverter and b2b charger and if need solar for trickle charging as won't really ever do shore power but all that is different topics, I can do whenever.

Then a ramp to roll in my miter saw, table saw and tile saw that are on stands with wheels.

Main goal is get the e tracks installed with in a day or two of having possession of the van. That way my wall of tool boxes in garage get a new home.

Then turn the van into my mobile shop. So tired of swapping out tool boxes from job type to job type at end of every day and the struggle of 4x8ft sheet goods into the truck with tools.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had seen those. I do have 5 horizontal 10 fts and 2 10ft vertical. Already I got from a semi trailer shop. I tried finding who had it online but no dice and happened to be passing a trailer shop and stopped in and they said a place a block away had it.

Already have thunderbolt electronic deadbolts for all the doors for added security. I don't care for puck locks I have on my two express vans my employees run.

Have my partition picked out. And side steps

Debating on the midcity engineering alarm along with compustar t11 remote start and the proximity unlock and tracking.

Still need to figure out my house battery set up to run my tool battery chargers and corded miter saw and concrete drill. Know how to hook it all up just not sure on what batteries, inverter and b2b charger and if need solar for trickle charging as won't really ever do shore power but all that is different topics, I can do whenever.

Then a ramp to roll in my miter saw, table saw and tile saw that are on stands with wheels.

Main goal is get the e tracks installed with in a day or two of having possession of the van. That way my wall of tool boxes in garage get a new home.

Then turn the van into my mobile shop. So tired of swapping out tool boxes from job type to job type at end of every day and the struggle of 4x8ft sheet goods into the truck with tools.
Just use a small generator to meet your electrical needs. More simple and powerful. Put it on a rear hitch mounted swing arm.