ESTIMATED TAXES- SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT PAY

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI ALL,

Here si something that everyone questions in reference to estimated tax payments. This will give you some idea of weather you should or should not pay them.

Income Tax

Determining Your Estimated Tax Payments
How Can I Figure Out If I Must Pay Estimated Taxes, And, If So, How Much Will I Owe?

If you're an employee, your boss takes money out of every paycheck, and sends that to the IRS (and maybe your state government, too) to pay part of your income taxes. Through withholding, you pay your income taxes as you go.

But if you are self employed, or if you have income beyond what you are paid as a salary, you need to estimate the part of your income for which you have not paid taxes through withholding, and every quarter, you must pay taxes on that estimated income.

You may owe estimated taxes if you earn income that isn't subject to withholding, such as:

Interest income
Dividends
Gains from stock sales
Earnings from a business in which you are the sole proprietor
Alimony

Do I Need to Pay Estimated Taxes?

That depends on your situation. The rule is that you must pay your taxes as you go. If, when you file your return, you have not paid enough income taxes through withholding or quarterly estimated payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment.

To determine whether you need to make those payments, answer these questions:

Do you expect to owe less than $1,000 in taxes for 2006 after applying your federal income tax withholding to the total amount of taxes that you expect to owe? If so, you're safe -- you don't need to make estimated tax payments.

Do you expect your federal income tax withholding (or estimated taxes paid on time) to amount to at least 90% of the tax that you will owe on your 2005 return? If so, then you're in the clear and you don't need to make estimated tax payments.

Do you expect that your income tax withholding will be at least 100 percent of the tax that you paid on your 2005 return? Or, if your adjusted gross income (Form 1040, line 36) on your 2005 tax return was over $150,000 ($75,000 if you're married and file separately in 2005), do you expect that your income tax withholding will be at least 110% of the tax you owed on your 2005 return? If so, then you're not required to make estimated tax payments.

If you answered no to all of these questions, you must make estimated tax payments with Form 1040-ES. You must make total tax payments (estimated taxes plus withholding) during 2006 so you meet one of these requirements:

You make enough payments to add up to at least 90 percent of what you owed for 2005, or

You make enough payments to add up to 100 percent [or 110 percent if your 2004 income was more than $150,000, ($75,000 if married and filing separately in 2005)] of the tax you paid in 2005

Which Option Should I Choose?
That depends on your situation.

The safest option to avoid an underpayment penalty for 2006 is to choose "100 percent of your 2005 taxes." If your 2005 adjusted gross income was more than $150,000 (or $75,000 for those who are married and filing separate returns in 2005), you should pay 110% of your 2005 taxes.

If you expect your 2006 income to decrease and you don't want to pay more taxes than you will end up owing at the end of 2006, you can choose to pay either 90 percent or 100 percent of your estimated 2006 tax bill. If your estimated payments add up to less than 90 percent of what you owe you may face an underpayment penalty. So if you choose the 100 percent option, you'll have a little safety net.

If you expect your 2006 income to increase and you don't want to end up owing any taxes when you file your 2006 return, choose the option to pay 100 percent of your 2005 income tax liability through estimated payments.

How Should I Figure What I Owe?

You need to come up with a good estimate of the income and deductions you will report on your federal tax return next year. Get a copy of the worksheet accompanying Form 1040-ES and work your way through it. You'll need some items so you can plan what your estimated payments should be:

Your 2005 return. Use your 2005 federal tax return as a check to make sure you include all the income and deductions you expect to take on your 2006 tax return. You also look at the total tax you paid, if you are going to make payments that amount to 100 percent of that year's taxes.

Your record of any estimated tax payments you've already made for 2006. You need to take those payments into account when you determine how much tax you still owe, so have your check register handy so you can look up the amounts and dates you paid.

Tip
One way to get a jump on paying your 2006 taxes is to apply your 2005 tax refund to your 2006 taxes instead of getting a refund. If you won't have federal income tax withheld from wages or if you have other income and your withholding will not be enough to cover your tax bill, you probably need to make quarterly estimated tax payments. Having all or part of your overpayment applied to your estimated taxes is a relatively painless way to take care of some of what you owe for 2006.

What If I Do Not Pay?
If you're required to make estimated tax payments, and you don't, you could end up owing the IRS an underpayment or estimated tax penalty in addition to the taxes that you owe.

Result: you have to write a larger check to the IRS when you file your return.

Should I Pay in Equal Amounts?
Usually, you pay your estimated tax payments in four equal installments. But you might end up with unequal payments in some circumstances:

If you have your 2005 overpayment credited to your 2006 estimated tax payments
If you don't figure your estimated payments until after April when the first one is due, you might end up with unequal payments
If you unexpectedly make a lot of money one quarter
Example
You calculate that you need to pay $10,000 in estimated taxes throughout the year, and you don't make your first payment until June 15 (when the second estimate is due), so your first payment will be $5,000. Your September payment and your January 2006 payment will be $2,500 each.

If You Are a Farmer or Fisherman
You have special criteria to meet, but you may end up paying less in estimated taxes. You're considered a qualified farmer or fisherman if you earn more than two thirds of your gross income from farming or commercial fishing. If you're not sure you qualify, or how this all works, get IRS Publication 595: Tax Highlights for Commercial Fisherman, or IRS Publication 225: Farmer's Tax Guide. These publications tell you how to figure your gross taxable income and what fishing and farming income you can include as qualified income.

Frank