Engine shut-off: low voltage

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Driving a Pete 330 with ISC300E. Engine sporadically shuts off at road speeds, then comes back on within a second or so. Cummins tested and found that it is low voltage problem and thus on the Pete side. Wiring harness has been checked at battery box and elsewhere and does not seem to be the problem. Anyone have this problem with the Cummins? Can't wait to see the new Cat 9 Liter- nothing but problems with the black motor!:(

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
this problem happens while driving correct? if so when are they checking the harness? while it is in the shop and shut down most likely.. point being there can be wierd problems with wires that cannot be found with a simple contintuity test.. if they cant locate the problem and the truck is still under warrentee push them to start replaceing harnasses until the problem goes away..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I drove a '99 FL70 with an early issue ISC 285 that did the same thing. It started becoming more and more frequent, and the test just kept showing "faulty engine speed sensor." Finally, it stopped and wouldn't restart. The fuel pump had failed, and was replaced under warranty, but caused three days of delay. Apparently a lot of early issue Cummins CAPS fuel pumps are defective.
Once replaced, the engine was fine up until the point the truck was repoed from its owner.
-Weave-

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well the new engine relay did not solve the problem either, as the shut-off happened one more time. Pete and Cummins both have investigated it numerous times, and all Cummins can say is "it's not our problem, it's on the OEM side". Frankly, as I said before, I will think long and hard before I get another black motor. Having said that, I was told by a mechanic that the ISL is a good motor- maybe when this is due for major overhaul, I should throw in one of those? Seems to me, more expediters should investigate the 9 Ltr engines, or series 50 (which only comes in the Freightshakers). Still pis...(

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The way I see it, your Cummins shop should be able to troubleshoot the OEM side too with little difficulty. If you are not getting satisfaction out of your local shop...shop around and go to another Cummins or Peterbilt facility and explain what's up. Be friendly, and they will be interested in solving the problem, be it with the engine or truck. I (sort of) think Cummins is trying to blow off another CAPS fuel pump problem here, maybe print this forum thread out and show it to them. The pump out of warranty is BIG BUCKS!
-Weave-

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I kinda of agree with Weave on the speed sensor or may even be a throttle position sensor. But just throwing parts on is not a cheap way to go. If Cummins claims its on the OEM side and Pete isn't doing anything. I would call there 800 customer service hotline and tell them how you are getting the run around. I assume someone has road tested the truck and was able to duplicate the problem while it was at the shop. Good mechanics are few and far between these days. Mostly parts replacers. Anyway if the trucks under warranty, raise hell with Pete. Dealerships hate it when the corporate calls to see why they can't fix the problem. I don't know what part of the country you are from. But I have a freightshaker and I take to a western star dealer in red lion,pa. Any major problems I have I go to them. These guys are good. Not cheap! But they repair stuff the first time. No come backs. They stand behind there work. If you live close or get close to them. Give them a shout. Rivers Truck Center 800-930-4903 or 717-244-4903 They are a Cummins/Cat/Detroit dealer. They also will work on any flavor of truck. If its a Cummins problem and you are under warranty. They can do the claim. If its on the Pete side. They can't do it under warranty. But they will find the problem. I'm not trying to sell them to you. Just let you know where a good shop is.