Empty miles

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How many empty miles do you average to pick-up a load. On say a 500 mile load how far would you go empty to get it.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If it was a Fedex TPS load I wouldn!t even consider deadhead,If it was a Conventional non discounted load I would go about 30% or 150 miles,,but you have to think of the deadhead at the end. If the load drops in the middle of now where and you have a 200 mile deadhead to get to a decent location for your next trip,thats a big consideration.. Most years I average about 33-35 % deadhead..

marmon01

Expert Expediter
My cousin operates a "D" unit and he figures on about one-third or 33 percent deadhead. Interesting to see how close that is to Rich's estimate.

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
These days a hundred or so miles dead-head doesnt seem un common. I don't know the %, I just add the dead-head miles to the loaded miles and compare it to the pay. If its under a dollar a mile, I usually refuse it. The TPS loads I've taken have paid pretty good. Some times there may be a problem with directions or eta conformation, but nothing too dramatic. How do you know a load is TPS when it is offerred?