driving school for class b cdl

dparker

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here about 2 weeks and finally decided to post. I am currently a releif driver and I have one dedicated route I drive every friday for a full line convenience store distributor. I either drive a 12-15ft. or 22ft box truck and have been doing this for 6 months for a lousy $7 bucks an hour. I am looking into driving OTR running a box truck and not sure if I really need to go to driving school or not. I have seen with several companines that you either need 6 months experience or pass a road test with an approved school....but haven't seen anything set in stone you must be a certified driving school graduate. I have read a lot of posts here on this issue but I just don't know which way to turn. I take it you can rent a "Ryder" or "Uhual" truck for a day and test in? What if this truck doesn't have airbrakes? I went to driving school for about 2 weeks for TT and after getting hit by a semi 1/2 way through the school...TT wasn't for me. I am also very dissappointed wtih the quality of training my local school provides. They kept saying when I trained for TT.."we only help you obtain your cdl...you will learn once you get with your company and your trianer". Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be looking at the 1st of August for driving school if that is the way I will go. On the other hand...I live in Ohio 1 hour South of I-70 and judging by the number of trucking terminals on I-70 and number of expedite companines in OH and Midwest I am positioned well. BTW I am 30 years old....1 ticket (over three years ago...illegal left turn) since I got my license at 16 years old and never ever been arrested so if anyone is looking for a driver in say 2 months here I am.

Thanks,

Dan

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Well, if you rent a truck with no air breaks, you won't have that endorsement, which means you can't drive a truck with air breaks. Also, with a ryder or u-haul or whatever, they are usally automatic transmissions, which means you'll have a ristriction on your cdl- automatic only. If you want to get your cdl through school, look into a community college, better training. A lot of componies don't require any experiance, unless you drive t/t. Call some componies and talk to recrutiers, and see what they want. Also, go to a truckstop and talk to drivers. in August we are having an Expiditer Expo, and anything you ever wanted to know about this business can be answerd at it. Good Luck, and hope to see ya up there:9

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In Ohio there is no difference if you test with an automatic or manual transmission. There is no endorsement for that. If you test with a truck with hydraulic brakes, you will not be able to drive a truck with air brakes. The testing place near here will rent you a truck to take the test . I think they charge about $100. I also live in Ohio. Youngstown area.

joker

Expert Expediter
Hi, You shouldn't need to go to a school to obtain your class b cdl. Get all the necessary study materials and do your home work for the class b written exam. I would recommend getting the airbrake and hazmat endorsements as well. After you have passed you written tests you will need a class b truck to take your test in. Rent or borrow one with air brakes and over 32,000 gvw. In Ky. you also have to have a person who has a currrent class b cdl accompany you when you go to take your driving test. Ofcourse you also have to have a cld physical. Make sure its the long form one. If you have been driving a 24' truck, you won't have any problem passing the test.Good luck,
Joker:)

Flunky

Expert Expediter
when i decided to get my CDL (a curse) i went and got the class b permit with all endorsements but passenger. schedualed a test for the next day and PASSED! im either good or the test is too easy????? so the following week i went and got my class A permit and again set up a test for the next day and PASSED!......no i didnt bribe the tester

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably been driving trucks or big boats all your life, to have the test come so easy!!! HA HA HA!!!. LOL

Flunky

Expert Expediter
oh... did i forget to mention that i was raised in an enviroment where i got used the the size of a large veh. and got lots and lots of backing practice in :p oops. my bad lol

dparker

Expert Expediter
Hi Folks,

Haven't been in here for several weeks....thanks to to a blonde, pregnant girl who managed to rear end me pretty hard and strain my back up good! I passed class B permit test easily with all endorsements execpt passanger....DMV lady said might as well take all of them...they don't cost anything to try to get them. Class B permit with HAZMAT, air brake, and tanker endorsements and a copy of my long form DOT physical are now MINE. I have also found a testing site that rents the proper equipment for $100 for skills test/pretrip/ and road test about 1 hour north of me. I will probably be looking for a job in the next month or two and I 100% sure I need a career change. I really wanted to go to the Expedited trucking show in MI the next two days but my back injuries will not permit me the 6 hour drive now and yesterday is the 1st day, the 13th, my doctor cleared me for driving a car. Any other tips or pointers someone wants to offer I'm always open for advice.

Thanks,

Dan