DREADED INSURANCE

minitruck

Expert Expediter
I was a teamster for 27 yrs. but drove for a company. Then went into Law Enforcement for a little over 10 yrs. and retired from that. Now I want to start my own "hot shot" service. OOIDA won't even talk to me about ins cause I don't have recent driving history with a company. Can someone please tell me where I can get a MILLION $$ policy with unlimited mileage and under 26,000# at a fair price? Thank you all in advance for any advice on this important matter. Oh by the way...I am based out of West Virginia. Gregg;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Gregg, Welcome to the forum. I’m not sure about hot shot work, but I don’t think it is any different than what we do, so the insurance should be about the same. There were some posts a while back on insurance. Go to the search and type in the key word insurance and see where it takes you. Also look in the archives for there are many posts about insurance in there. If that don’t find you any then type in (E7mack96) Tony (The other Tony) is a member and he was posting about insurance some time ago. I recall someone and a company called Cincinnati life or fire. They insure drivers.

If you don’t have any luck finding anything, send me an email with some info and a phone #, and I will have an agent call you. My agent may be licensed in WVA . If he isn’t maybe he will know someone.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What I would do is shop around online by typing in "trucking deadhead insurance" or "bobtail insurance" into Altavista or any other search engine. That way you can call the individual places and see if they will insure you, and get rate quotes for the type of vehicle you want to insure.
It would be hard for me to just say "go with company X" because I use them, as they might not cover your state or an inexperienced driver. I used to use a place called TrueNorth out of Iowa that used to cover all states and all drivers, but recently dropped NY where I live, and had to go with Travellers. Good news was Travellers was actually cheaper, but took time to set up and their rate is very definitely based on driving experience.
Anoter place to call is your local big truck dealerships, they can usually recommend an agent for this type of insurance. If leasing on somewhere to do your hotshot loads, you'll need your own collision insurance too- most often one company can cover both the collision and bobtail. My own rate for both of these on a 33k gross D unit runs $234.00 a month- keep in mind that's NY, most other ststes are cheaper.
-Weave-

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geesh...I am paying 440 per month for a 99 3/4T 2 clean and exp. drivers ALL things are covered even loss of use clause up $3,000 no disability though, The 5T's are paying about 550 for same coverage.

D Green

Expert Expediter
Price is but one consideration when looking for an insurance agent, especially if you plan on getting your own authority.

I tried several before I found one that knew, when I needed a certificate of insurance for a customer, I needed it faxed NOW, not tomorrow. Price is about 5% more than the last place, but the service can't be beat.

And as others said before me, get as many quotes as possible for your area.