Cargo Van Did they act fair?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in April the dispatch sent me for a pickup, not too far from my place, I'd say about 25 miles away. I got there, they had two pallets weighing 1700 lbs each. Originally, when I was dispatched, I was told 2 skids / 340 lbs, so it looks like somebody forgot to add another zero. Now being an overweight load, I called the dispatch to tell him the situation. Been sitting there over an hour, then finally they decided to sent me back home, so, a dry run for $75. On my way back home, the dispatch called me, asking me to go once again at that shipper, this time for one pallet. I went back, talked to the shipper, he said he cannot break the load unless he's told to do so by someone from the management, so once again I had to wait till that someone gives the green light for splitting the load. And I've been waiting until they closed the shop (I've been sitting there for about 4 hours this time), then the dispatch sent me home once again, now being paid $100 for my trouble. "OK", I said in my mind, "I've wasted a day, but at least I got $175". Last month I decided to cease driving for them, and here comes the surprise: My last paycheck was $100 shorter! The reason? They took back that $100 for the second dry run. I called them to ask why's that, and of course that lady from accounting gave me all kind of stupid reasons, first time saying that I was already paid for the dry run and the second dry run was a mistake, then after explaining her that there were two different pro numbers, she gave me "they refused to pay". I'm pretty sure that was just a last revenge before getting my personal last paycheck from them...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The company is wrong. Typical but not surprising. There are too few companies that do what they should. Most of the companies are thieves with a captive audience of victims. Good luck with it.

Reactions: Opel2010 and JohnWC

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seems to me that you contracted with carrier to do a job for $100, and you did it. Technically customer refusing to pay really isn't your problem, unless your contract says otherwise. IMHO.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems to me that you contracted with carrier to do a job for $100, and you did it. Technically customer refusing to pay really isn't your problem, unless your contract says otherwise. IMHO.

Long story short: they paid me in April, they took the money back in July.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
LOL then they did pay you they just charged you a $100 piss off fee.
fair no way but is worth your time and energy?

Reactions: neilblack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in all my years...."fair" has been pretty elusive....there was always a sort of cost that went with fair....from doing extra things on a load, a few extra miles, to an extra drop, to stroking an ego here and there of an obsessive dispatcher or owner....never has "fair" come completely free....there always seem some attachment to earn the "fair" ..IMO

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It comes down to relationships. That carrier didn't give a shyte about its relationships with drivers.
For example. TONIGHT, we had a load go south. Driver had 58 miles X2 in miles invested to moving to the pick.
So 116 miles later he had no freight ONLY because the shipper "changed their mind" on whether a 22:00 Sprinter would fix their problem.
The broker is NOT able to invoice it because the broker committed to our 22:00 ETA.
The BROKER cares about CRE as a carrier and the relationship we have and is eating the TONU charge. I felt bad for that but $120 will come in handy to help cover the driver's investment in the dry run.
Relationships.
Relationships.
Relationships.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No they didn't. Honest work deserves honest pay. Not lies and deceit typical of most every chicken :censoredsign: carrier out here. That's trucking. Not to excuse what they did because it was wrong but did you otherwise leave on good terms with them? Did you give notice? Did they require it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No they didn't. Honest work deserves honest pay. Not lies and deceit typical of most every chicken **** carrier out here. That's trucking. Not to excuse what they did because it was wrong but did you otherwise leave on good terms with them? Did you give notice? Did they require it?
as 1 former carrier told me....we get paid ...you get paid....if we don't get paid, neither do you....literally suck it up and move off the issue, is what they said...

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at my first truckload carrier as an employee then contractor for 11 years. They were not a perfect company but they kept me busy. I can count on one hand the times I had issues with a paycheck. And those times it was quickly taken care of without question. I did my job and paperwork was in order, they did theirs. When I quit I gave 30 days notice per my contract. My last settlement had every penny that was supposed to be there. That is a good company. Rare in this industry. Nationwide Express out of Shelbyville, TN. I moved on. Outgrew their pay model for contractors. But I can't say anything bad about them. And I know they're not the norm either. One of the worst offenses that creates il-will a carrier can do is mess with a driver's pay. No matter how well they do in other areas.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at my first truckload carrier as an employee then contractor for 11 years. They were not a perfect company but they kept me busy. I can count on one hand the times I had issues with a paycheck. And those times it was quickly taken care of without question. I did my job and paperwork was in order, they did theirs. When I quit I gave 30 days notice per my contract. My last settlement had every penny that was supposed to be there. That is a good company. Rare in this industry. Nationwide Express out of Shelbyville, TN. I moved on. Outgrew their pay model for contractors. But I can't say anything bad about them. And I know they're not the norm either. One of the worst offenses that creates il-will a carrier can do is mess with a driver's pay. No matter how well they do in other areas.
the old addage....you can do a lot of things..BUT never mess with a mans paycheck!!

Reactions: rollincoal

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to excuse what they did because it was wrong but did you otherwise leave on good terms with them? Did you give notice? Did they require it?

No need for notice, I don't drive for them anymore, but I still have trucks leased with them. For now.