d vs b unit

G

We are new to expediting, driving a "D" unit for a good contractor at 60%, we are paying fuel. I have been an OTR driver w/ Schneider, so I am not entirely new, but it seems that if a person could run a less expensive "B" unit, it may make sense in light of deisel prices and tolls, etc...

Are there any "B" units that are large enough for a team? Are "B" unit drivers making a living? We would be buying the unit, so who should we lease on with?...Thanks

Bob and Gerri

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You may want to speak with B Unit drivers at the truckstops -- besides getting some good information, you'd also get to check out their vehicle. Be sure to ask what they would have done differently, as far as spec'ing the vehicle -- i would imagine that comfort during layovers is one of the major considerations of a B Unit driver, and their experience could save you a lot of heartache and heartburn, down the road.

Also, i've heard of the Super B Units, and seen a few on the road, but never "up close and personal." Depending on your price range, this could be a viable option.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

G

B units are very tempting, due to their affordability, lack of regulation and fuel mileage. Unfortunately, the expediting market is completely saturated with them and many companies are not signing them on right now.
As far as comfort and room, they dont even come close to a class 8 tractor with a stand up sleeper.
If your a team, you will be able to make money and stay busy, especially with a tractor.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would stay away from a B unit unless you are going to run single.True operating costs are less but so is income and believe me there are a lot of B units out there.Just go to the Detroiter truck stop on a Monday and you will see,if you want to stay as a team I would go no lower that a c unit..Just my opinion,but I have a good friend who hads a b unit leased to FEDEX,for many years they ran as a team,they would receive a team load about once a quarter but have double the road expenses for the quarter.His wife got off the truck 2 years ago and they have seen no drop in net income..Good luck