Cost of Cargo Box

G

Could someone give me an idea of what a new 22'-24' box costs?
How long will one of these last under "normal" working conditions?

I realize that they probably take most of the abuse in this business. I'm pretty sure I can get fairly new box from a local truck dealer. He buys and sells a lot of box trucks and many of the buyers have him remove the boxes. I think the last ones he had were '97 or '98 model trucks. I'm sure the boxes were put on new, they came off a fleet.
Is this an option I need to explore if i decide to build my own truck?

coldstart

Expert Expediter
Howdy. When I was shopping a couple of years ago a new 24 foot box was around $8,000.00. I found a nice used one for $2,000.00. I've had straight trucks for many years and my experience is that one new box will last for at least two trucks. The secret is to keep them washed and maintain them immaculately. If you find a crack - get it welded, if the doors (rollup or barn) get stiff - clean and lube them. I would always use the barn door type due to the fact that they seem to be more forklift resistant, when the rollup types age the entrance area where the door lock holes are tends to bend down and the lock won't work. The only way to repair them then is to replace the whole rear end of the box! Good Luck.

G

Thx coldstart, the $2,000 is about what I was expecting for a used box..maybe $3,000 if it was pretty new. I would much, much rather have the roll-up door being a newbie...but, since I am a newbie, I will probably heed the advice given on most of the posts here and go for the barn doors. Of course, with a used box, I'm not sure of how many choices I will have.

Thx again,