considering van expediting as husband & wife team

EMCHSR

Expert Expediter
I am 50 years old, retired from GM. Kids are all married and gone. My wife and I are considering van expediting as a team. We are looking for info from other team cargo van drivers. We both just got our Class C with Hazmat. Thanks. Don

pellgrn

Expert Expediter

if i were starting out i would try and drive for someone,get to know the job without having to buy the van.you may find the van to small for a team and need a c or d unit,who will you lease with? if you drive for someone they will pass on helpful info because they have a financal interest in the van. pellgrn

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: reply

This could turn into a good thing for you and your wife. See for you the key is being retired. You already have a steady source of money coming in so any thing you make expediting will be a bonus. If you lease on with one of the bigger companies you stand a chance to lose some money. What I mean is the trip plus the wait for a return may cost you more than the trip paid. If you find a small company and work part time for that preson you will be treated better and may not have to sit waiting on a load home. Depending on the work and trips you want to make, you could treat it like a paid vacation. Get the load - make the drop - then enjoy the trip back home with your wife and site see along the way. This is called dead heading home, it's better to get home and get the next load than to sit somewhere for a week jumping every time the phone rings. Stay Safe!

EMCHSR

Expert Expediter
RE:

Thanks for responding to our question. This will help with our decision. We are located 10 miles east of Toledo Ohio. Thanks again Don

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Husband Wife Team

I am a large fleet owner that consistantly is looking for husband wife teams. We run only 22 or 24 ft trucks with 72 in or bigger sleepers. We provide full training on the cdl plus the intangibles on running your own business. If you are still looking email me [email protected]

Thanks
Kyle