Confused

Wheelspinner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been in trucking for over half my life. Teams are the hardest to find. Why is it I am not able to find a contractor who is willing to put my wife and I in a truck that is capable of extended stays on the road. We want to go out and stay till the winter slow down. Please explain the prevelance of these darn 70 and 72 inch stripped, bare bone sleepers. I want comfort if I am willing to stay out 90 or 95% in service.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

Wheel Spinner,

I know contractors feel the same way about their sub-contractors. It's just a matter of making a "good match".

Their are some contractors who will move a few times with different carriers before they find a "good match". So I'm sure it's not that different with drivers.

Not to toot our own horn - - I have seen some very nice trucks and offers available up in the Free Classifieds section on this web site.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

Wheelspinner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for your insight. I have used your on line services for a few weeks and have met some really nice people.The problem still exists. so many people want to put you in a truck that they would not drive. One man , when asked about the amenities said "when I want all that I go to Dennys or Shoneys. All I wanted was a microwave and a fridge. I am still confused.....Again thanks for your response. Have you noticed I have had 18 views and only one answer. People dont want to admit that their truck is not built for the long haul. Their dinosaurs...

REGARDS,,,,,Wheelspinner.

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not to be mean, but if you want all the toys of an Owner/Operator truck, then you should become one yourself. Most big fleets don't provide CB antennae let alone inverters or fridges! A small fridge costs $600, and if it's left on, it'll drain the batteries. That's alot of expense for an owner. Spec your truck the way you want it and drive for someone else until it's built. You'll learn the expediting ropes and appreciate your truck even more. Good luck!

Thumper

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Wheelspinner. Hey I understand what you are saying and we were in the same boat that you are in. If you haven't found an owner like you really want then you need to talk to ours. Just tell him that Thumper sent you.
You may not believe this but you can look in the cool pics on this site and see our sister truck. It is on with Panther and if you look real close you can see that it says National Hot Shot on the door. We have a 2000 Freightliner 106 with the Detroit series 50-320 hp, with an Allison 6 speed auto. The sleeper is 120", w/generator, sink, double door fridge-freezer,micro., 20" tv-vcr,queen sized bed, air ride, etc... We are on with Tri-State but our owner has trucks on with Panther,and Con-way also. We have med. ins.,direct deposit,and are paid weekly. We get a regular paycheck w/taxes witheld.
Jim probably won't order anymore trucks quite this loaded but he's talking about getting all 96" with auto.,w/sinks,micro., fridge,etc.. If intrested call Jim Shirley at 1-800-426-6579 tell him Thumper sent you. Good Luck

Big_Little_Truck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Thumper
Got to see that sister truck at Alumi-Bunk a short time back, all I can say is NICE TRUCK. We would have left our little old truck there and gone to work for your owner if he had an opening in a truck like that....LOL

There are a lot of owners out there that know they need to provide the best most comfortable equipment, to help attract and keep good quality drivers (A good pay plan also helps). On the other hand there are the Owner's who used to drive, and remember how it was in the good old days, or the guys who have never spent any significant time out on the road, and don't have a clue what it means to be laid over for a long holiday weekend in the middle of no-where in a 60 inch sleeper with your co-driver. All these guys see is the bottom line, the truck payment is lower so I must be making more money (Not if the truck is sitting empty with no driver's)
Well that is my 2 cents worth

richard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
R expres transportation services out of rockford il
815-963-3994

i know what you are saying.R Express helped me and my wife
get into our own truck after only 6 months of employment
they let us run team in there truck for 6 months
it only took me 2 to save the downpayment.then after that we picked out the truck we wanted and chuck the operations manager
paid cash then all we do is 1 run a month for him till its paid
for.
we are free to run our own freight anytime we want.so what we do
is when we get into an area we cant get anything we just page chuck and he gets us loaded all his freight pays $1.00 per mile
and he pays the fuel on his runs.
its a good setup cause if we run more for him than what our payment is he com-checks us the differance as soon as we overnight him the bills.
tell me what other company pays in 24 hrs.
if hes not in when you call his pager # 888-816-4753

good luck and be safe