Computer and software

janaarup

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

I am kind of savey on Computers and Radios, but I want some input from others. What CB, GPS, Computer, and Software would you recommend for a new driver?

Jan Aarup

Lack of planning on your part dosen't consitute an emergency on my part. (yeah Right)

Jan"Jon" Aarup
Radio Doctor CB Ch: 19
KA9FXL (146.520 Mhz)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cobra makes good cb radios. The ones with the Nightwatch feature are nice so you can see what you are adjusting after dark. Uniden are not bad either. Any will do for getting a traffic report or talking to a shipper. If you don't already have it you may want to get a copy of this directory before you hit the road. http://www.artscipub.com/mapbook/ is really nice for finding repeaters in unfamiliar areas.

I use an HP laptop and also own Dell laptops that my daughters use. All have been good. The "default" navigation is CoPilot Truck version 9. It is the only navigation program that is set up to watch for clearance issues and truck prohibited routes. It also has a hazmat switch when needed. It is FAR from perfect but is the only real option for truck specific guidance. I haven't found any GPS unit that is set up for trucks. Along with Copilot it's a good idea to have Streets and Trips so you can find all the addresses that Copilot has no clue about.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

MDB1

Expert Expediter
Leo,
I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 GPS, and it allows me to select routing for motorcycle, car, truck, bus, or something else that I can't remember at the moment. When I was transporting RV's I always used "truck" routing because most large 5th wheel trailers are over 12 feet tall and the GPS always kept me off of the skinny roads and avoided any low clearances. It also allows me to select "Avoid toll roads" which is a passion of mine whenever possible. I believe all of the Garmin Street Pilot series have these options.

Now that I am driving a Sprinter I usually use "car" routing unless I don't like the route it selects, then I switch to "truck" to see what changes it makes.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't aware the Garmin had a truck setting. That is good to know for anyone who doesn't have a laptop pc to run navigation software on.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Garmin 2620 has a setting but the 2720 does not.
I have both and the 2620 is better in the straight truck.

wheeljam

Seasoned Expediter
Another good program to have is DDL www.DriversDailyLog.com. You can do all your logs on the computer, just like if you were doing it in the log book. You can change the information anytime you want, it isn't set in stone like some systems, you control it.