Comments From Dispatchers....

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I disagree....I don't think FECC KNOWINGLY signs on these kind of people. I think unscrupulous fleet owners DO and perhaps a few slip through the cracks when they're in orientation at Green, showered and shaved up.

This is the kind of thing that the safety liaison is looking at, maybe the company should give some thought to the trucks/drivers of the outside companies that they use.

I stand corrected on that. I do recall a couple that did not make it thru orientation...perhaps that was the reason. Hopefullly FECC will get more aggressive on their clean up. I'm sure the dispatchers get just as frustrated dealing with this class of people.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having attended 4 orientations over 7 years, the Fedex orientation was the most professional as far as the entire group of people. They don't throw a pound of pasta on the wall looking for the ounce that sticks. It was a refreshing change.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Having attended 4 orientations over 7 years, the Fedex orientation was the most professional as far as the entire group of people. They don't throw a pound of pasta on the wall looking for the ounce that sticks. It was a refreshing change.

Well these two noodles were probably an example of ones that would've slipped thru except for FECC taking appropiate action during orientation...BTW you don't like pasta? A better example might be broccoli...:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like pasta more than broccoli and pasta is also usually an example of selecting a few from many I think. The main point was that Fedex didn't run 100 people through in a week to have 41 still there in a month and less than a dozen there in a year. Now, I just made up those numbers but I suspect the ratios aren't too far off.

Last edited:

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I hear that! And the fact that our carrier does not offer the best rate first makes it clear whose profits the carrier seeks to maximize.

That's what makes it easy for Diane and me to hold out for a higher price. If our carrier is happy to mazimize its profits, we equally happy behave the same way for the same reason.

Since, in theory at least, we all are on a percentage contract where the profit margin for the carrier remains the same (percentage), this should be a moot point. If the initial offer to the truck represents the actual contract terms and it is too low, we can conclude that the company is offering the service to the customer at a rate below what they can deliver. If they then have to cut their profit margin below the contract terms in order to get the load on a truck, that is a "personal problem" for them.