CHOOSE A COMP.???

G

WHAT SHOULD YOU ASK EACH COMP. B4 CHOOSING WHAT SHOULD I NOW? THANX 4 ALL THE HELP 4 THOSE WHO REPLY!!

Lonnie

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ask them for their rate sheet. Ask the phone numbers of 5 current drivers. If they balk at either =walk.

G

Also ask for a copy of all papers you have to sign ahead of time so you can review them.

G

As the owner of a small but fairly successful expedite operation based in Indianapolis, I think your reply to Jim was excellent! There are alot of small (I hate to say Mom and Pop) operations out there that are great, but there are some that leave alot to be desired - like watch out for their checks! Checking with current O/O or company drivers should always be a must!

G

As an added protection have any contracts reviewed by your lawyer. If you think a lawyer is too costly, then you are not in the right frame of mind. This is a business, and you must act to protect your self. A small amount for a legal opinion will repay itself, down the road. Jim Bunting...

G

Jim is as usual 100% correct.A laywer or someone who is very familar with the trucking industry should be consulted.Over the last few weeks I have come in contact with several ex Panther contractors that are having to go to court in order to get their settlements. One thing about a Mom/Pop operation is that they usually have no backhaul and are generally dependent on just a few shippers..

G

Ask them what percentage of freight is automotive and how much is it discounted. How many trucks do they have, how many loads per day vs. trucks in service. What are the start up costs and ongoing deductions required. What is fleet's current deadhead percentage? What are special perks that company offers, if any. Health ins? Fuel discounts? Just a few off the top of my head.